CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1215281
Date first listed:
13-Dec-1957
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, BROADWAY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1215281.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2019 at 03:42:20.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, BROADWAY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cambridgeshire
District:
Huntingdonshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Farcet
National Grid Reference:
TL 20169 94639

Details

FARCET BROADWAY TL 2094 (West Side) 8/6 CHURCH OF ST MARY 13.12.57 Parish Church

GV 11*

Parish Church. C12 nave, west tower c1180-90, mid C13 chancel and south chapel. South aisle rebuilt with wider east bay 1270-80. South porch C14. Church restored in 1852 and north aisle and arcade added with original C12 north door resited. Tower restored 1894-97. Walls of limestone rubble with Barnack dressings, roofs of stone slates and lead. South elevation: west parapet with corner finials, low pyramidal roof. Belfry window of two pointed lights with a central octagonal shaft with a moulded capital in a round headed arch with shafted jambs with moulded capitals and bases. Nave clerestory with three C19 quatrefoiled circular windows. Two C19 south aisle windows. South doorway C13, has chamfered jambs with a two-centred head; south porch C14 outer archway of two chamfered orders on splayed responds with a two-centred head. South chapel rebuilt chancel north wall has a C15 'low-side' window of two cinquefoiled and transomed lights in a four-centred head with moulded label. Interior: nave arcades C19 to north of three bays with pointed arches on octagonal columns; late C13 south arcade of four bays with round arches of two chamfered orders (and one two-centred western arch), octagonal columns with moulded capitals and bases; the east respond has a moulded corbel with a free pendant carved with foliage, the west respond has an attached half column. The east column formerly had a cross arch to the aisle, the western bay of the arcade was constructed perhaps as a planned extension to the nave. Tower arch; two-centred of two chamfered orders with chamfered label, chamfered responds and attached semi circular shafts with moulded caps and bases and octagonal abacii. South and west walls of tower with tall round headed lights deeply splayed and rebated on the external face C19 stair turret. Chancel arch; late C13, two centred of two chamfered orders with hollow-chamfered responds and attached semi octagonal shafts with moulded caps and bases, mid C13 arch to chapel of two chamfered orders with chamfered responds moulded capitals and plain bases. Locker in north wall of chancel reused material possibly C15, piscina with trefoiled head, projecting drain and wooden shelf C13, Sedillia restored C13. South Chapel west arch two centred of two continuous chamfered orders. Nave roof rebuilt on old corbels with carved foliage, grotesque beast and head, and shields, the reset carved wooden angels with shields and six carved heads are possibly from the earlier roof. Pulpit, date AD 1612 rebuilt with early C16 carved panels. The steps were formerly part of the roodstair and demolished in 1852. Seating; five benches, early C16 with fleur-de-lis poppy heads. For monuments and floor slabs see RCHM and VCH, of note is an inscribed slab over the south doorway to Dorothea Wright 1674 known for her healing powers. R C H M Huntingdonshire, p89 V C H Huntingdonshire, p166 Pevsner: Buildings of England, p243

Listing NGR: TL2016994639

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
400398
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Huntingdonshire, (1926), 89
Page, W, Proby, G , The Victoria History of the County of Huntingdon, (1936), 166
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Bedfordshire, Huntingdon and Peterborough, (1968), 243

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Feb 2002
Reference: IOE01/06424/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr JM Webber. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].