Church of St Mary

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1215375
Date first listed:
14-Mar-1969
Statutory Address:
Church of St Mary, Hampton Lovett

Map

Ordnance survey map of Church of St Mary
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1215375.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 16:38:48.

Location

Statutory Address:
Church of St Mary, Hampton Lovett

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Worcestershire
District:
Wychavon (District Authority)
Parish:
Hampton Lovett
National Grid Reference:
SO 88904 65595

Details

SO 86 NE; 5/58

HAMPTON LOVETT CP, Church of St Mary

14.03.69

I

Parish church. Early C12 with C14 to C16 alterations and additions; restoration of 1858-1859. Sandstone ashlar, tile roof. C12 nave, C16 south porch with tower over, C14 chancel, north (St Anne's) chapel built circa 1474, rebuilt 1561 for the Pakingtons.

Tower and porch: four stages, crenellated parapet, diagonal buttresses; belfry (top) stage: two-light windows with quatrefoil over ,first and second have square headed windows; ground floor: porch has outer doorway with double chamfered two-centred head, inner doorway of two moulded continuous orders.

Nave: two bays; south wall: west bay occupied by porch and tower, east bay has late C14 window of two lights under two-centred head; west wall rebuilt 1858-1859, jambs of window reset, tracery restored in C14 style, three lights; north wall: two-light late C14 window to west, roughly central, a blocked C12 north door with semicircular head and shafts with cushion capitals; set in jambs continued up to eaves as pilaster buttresses; east bay occupied by north chapel: almost entirely of 1561,with north vestry of 1858-1859 flanked by two reset windows of c1414, of two and three cinquefoil headed lights under square heads; east window of 1561 with five Tudor arched lights under a square head. Chancel: angle buttresses, south wall partially C12,of two bays, two early C15 two-light windows under square heads, blocked priests door between them; east window: late C14 with three trefoil headed lights.

INTERIOR: chancel arch of early C14, two-centred with two orders continuous down jambs; two-centred arch from nave to north chapel of 1858-9; early C15 arch between chancel and north chapel, four-centred head of two orders; piscina in south wall of chancel with trefoil head.

Roofs: nave: C16 restored 1858-1859, four bays with moulded, cambered tie beams, two queen struts (no collar) and moulded purlins; an earlier, crenellated, beam is embedded in the wall above the chancel arch; chancel: four-bay wooden barrel vault of 1858-1859; north chapel: five-bay arch-braced collar roof of 1858-1859.

Fittings: chancel: chest tomb of Sir John Pakington, died 1551,set in north wall, with much restored canopy above; nave: wall memorial to Henry Hammond, died 1660, framed by Corinthian columns, armorial bearing above, signed by Joshua Marshall of London; north chapel: memorial to Sir John Pakington, reclining effigy on chest tomb with wall tablet behind, signed by J Rose of London. Glass: some fragments of armorial glass of 1561 in north window of nave; chancel east window by John Hardman. Font: C19 octagonal bowl on C14 moulded octagonal base.

Listing NGR: SO8890465593

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
400567
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Worcester, (1913), 156-7
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Worcestershire, (1968), 183

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Dec 2001
Reference: IOE01/05350/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Lacey. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].