CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1215836
Date first listed:
10-Nov-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, TOP STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1215836.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 19:09:37.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, TOP STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Rutland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Wing
National Grid Reference:
SK 89372 02979

Details

SK 80 SE WING TOP STREET (South side)

4/160 Church of St. Peter St. Paul 10.11.55

GV II*

Medieval parish church, part of the fabric dates from the mid-cl2, but externally much is a Victorian restoration in perpendicular style. All coursed iron stone rubble. West Tower, nave with clerestory and aisles, chancel. Tower is butressed, of three stages, with a 2-light tracered opening to bell chamber, and a quatrefoil frieze below an embattled parapet, probably early C14. South aisle and clerestory are of banded rubble, the aisle has paired lancets to west beneath a round arched hoodmould. There is a string course and an ashlar course above the windows, which have squared hoodmoulds. It was rebuilt in 1885. Paired foiled lights to clerestory, perpendicular. Chancel was rebuilt in 1875 and is also of banded rubble, with stone tiled roof and cresting and eastern coped gable with cross. Traceried windows. North aisle has lancet to west, but other windows are decorated; late C12 north door; round arch on slim piers with delicate capitals and bands, hollow chamfered and roll moulded arch in gabled porch of 1884.

Inside, the nave is of three bays, and the south arcade is the earliest part (mid-C12); round arches have a zig-zag decoration, and roll moulding, and are supported on round piers with square bases and abaci with fluted decoration to capitals. The north arcade is slightly later; the round piers are more slender, the arches double chamfered. The abaci are octagonal, the fluted decoration of the capitals has developed in waterleaf. The western most arch on each side disappears into the west wall, presumably because the later building of the tower encroached on the body of the Church. Clerestory windows are paired lights set in triangular heads. Roof is Victorian; sturdy chamfered timberwork. Chancel arch is probably early C13; early English pointed and triple chamfered, springing from corbels rather than piers. Rood door to south. The chancel itself is Victorian with a low stone screen and open work timber pulpit. Stone sedile and piscina Windows in decorated style, the east window set in a tall recess; decorative banded stonework to east wall. Two arches to north give way to vestry.

Furnishings include an undecorated font, octagonal on an octagonal base, probably C12 or C13, and some stained glass of c1900.

Listing NGR: SK8937202979

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
401125
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Jul 2003
Reference: IOE01/09449/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter J Ellis. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].