CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1215987
Date first listed:
30-Jul-1959
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1215987.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Mar-2020 at 21:45:24.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Worcestershire
District:
Wychavon (District Authority)
Parish:
Hinton on the Green
National Grid Reference:
SP 02440 40036

Details

SP 04 SW HINTON-ON-THE-GREEN CP - 1/167 Church of St Peter 30.7.59 GV II*. Church. Circa 1500 with C14 and late C11 remains, restored 1860s. Chancel added 1895, by J D Sedding. Limestone rubble with ashlar tower and tile roof. Comprises a west tower, nave, south porch, and lower chancel. The tower is of three stages separated by string courses and has diagonal buttresses and an embattled parapet with corner pinnacles and gargoyles. The bell openings are deeply splayed, with hoods, and two trefoiled ogee lights under pointed heads with quatrefoils. The west window is of three trefoiled ogee lights with C19 Geometrical tracery. The nave has an embattled parapet. The window tracery was renewed in the C19. On the north side is a window of four cinque- foiled lights under a flat head with Perpendicular tracery. To its right is one of two trefoiled ogee lights under a pointed head with quatrefoil. At the right is a blocked doorway with roll-moulded round arch, angle shafts with scalloped capitals, an inner square order, and a tympanum carved with false voussoirs and intersecting incised decoration. To the west of the porch on the south side is a window of two trefoiled lights with a trefoil under a pointed head. To the right is one of four cinquefoiled lights under a flat head with Perpendicular tracery. The C19 gabled porch has an outer moulded pointed doorway with angle shafts. The inner doorway has a roll-moulded round arch, angle shafts with scalloped capitals, and an inner square order. The chancel is of two bays and has windows of two trefoiled ogee lights under pointed heads. The east window is of five trefoiled ogee lights under a pointed traceried head. A foundation stone is dated "1894". Interior: tower arch is pointed and moulded. Nave roof has four C19 pine trusses with turned king-posts and arch-braced collars. C19 chancel arch is moulded and pointed. To the south is a rood stair. In the north wall of the nave is a C13 piscina. The octagonal font is C15 and has quatrefoil panels.

Listing NGR: SP0244040036

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
401283
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Mar 2001
Reference: IOE01/05869/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Harnwell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].