Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1216019.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 15:36:24.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

City of Derby (Unitary Authority)
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:




Parish church of 1855-56 by H.I. Stevens.

MATERIALS: Coursed rock-faced sandstone with freestone dressings, graded slate roof.

PLAN: Aisled nave, lower chancel, west tower, south porch and north-east vestry.

EXTERIOR: The exterior is mainly late Perpendicular style, with a Decorated chancel. The 3-stage tower has clasping buttresses, embattled parapet and corner pinnacles. It has a 3-light west window, and south door with continuous chamfer. In the middle stage is a round west clock face, under a hood mould. The upper stage has 2-light openings with louvres. Three-bay aisles have 3-light and 2-light windows. The south porch has a steep roof and continuous chamfer to its entrance arch. In the chancel is a 3-light east window, 2-light south window and a doorway with continuous chamfer. The present north vestry was added in 1999, but above it can be seen the scar of an earlier lean-to vestry roof.

INTERIOR: Nave arcades are in Decorated style with octagonal piers and double-chamfered arches. Eastern responds have foliage capitals. The chancel arch is on polygonal responds. The tower arch is obscured by the organ, but has a double-chamfer dying into the imposts. Nave and chancel have hammerbeam roofs, the aisles have tie-beam roofs. Walls are exposed freestone. Floors have tiles, except for raised floorboards beneath the pews.

PRINCIPAL FIXTURES: Wrought ironwork against the east wall of the north aisle is said to have been a reredos erected c1739, although it looks like the overthrow of a gate screen. It is possibly by Robert Bakewell (1685-1752), one of the foremost architectural iron smiths of the early C18, and features generous use of repoussé ironwork, including a trumpet-bearing angel, although done in a rustic manner. Above it is a Queen Anne Royal Arms painted on board. In the porch are 2 coffin slabs, one said to be of Saxon date, the other of the C13. There are 3 C18 wall tablets in the chancel. A wall monument to Raphe Newman (d 1617) incorporates a guilloche-moulded border. Other furnishings are mid C19 or later. The font is octagonal with quatrefoils around the bowl. Simple benches have ends with moulded tops. The C20 pulpit has linenfold panelling. Choir stalls have ends incorporating blind-tracery panels, and foliage relief panels to the frontals. The wooden reredos has blind tracery. There are 3 mid C20 windows of conventional design, 2 signed by Celtic Studios of Swansea.

HISTORY: The church was built in 1855-56 by H.I. Stevens (1806-73), architect of Derby. Stevens had an established reputation for church building in the East Midlands. The contractor was George Thompson. The new church replaced an earlier church, from which a Saxon coffin lid, wall tablets and a piece from a wrought-iron reredos were installed in the new church.

SOURCES: Pevsner, N and Williamson, E., The Buildings of England: Derbyshire (1978), 190. Lambeth Palace Libaray, Incorporated Church Building Society Archives.

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION: The church of St Michael, Alvaston, is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons: ¿ The church is a confident if unspectacular Gothic-Revival design that well represents the work of its architect. ¿ It has interior fixtures of special interest, notably an early medieval coffin lid and a substantial fragment of early C18 wrought ironwork.


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Jan 2001
Reference: IOE01/03143/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Nigel Ward. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].