RICKLING HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1216666

Date first listed: 26-Nov-1951

Statutory Address: RICKLING HALL, BRICK KILN LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of RICKLING HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1216666 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jan-2019 at 05:27:37.

Location

Statutory Address: RICKLING HALL, BRICK KILN LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Uttlesford (District Authority)

Parish: Quendon and Rickling

National Grid Reference: TL4994230216

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

QUENDON AND RICKLING BRICK KILN LANE 1. 5222 (west side) Rickling Hall TL 43 SE 16/624 26.11.51

II*

2. Remains of a large quadrangular building of C14-C15, built in what was probably the bailey of the former castle. The moated castle mound stands to the south of the present buildings. These enclose what was formerly a courtyard and is now a farmyard. Part of the surrounding moat remains. The north range, formerly the gate house, and the south range, formerly containing the great hall, kitchen etc are the original buildings of C14-C15. The east range was built circa 1600 with much re-used material and in 1620 a timber-framed staircase wing was added on the courtyard side. This partly obscures a re-used C14 2-light window with stone surround mullion and transom, and trefoiled heads. The east range is now the farmhouse. The north range was made into dwellings in the late C17 and the south range which was said to be ruinous was converted into a barn. At the same period the west range was built as a granary etc. The buildings are mostly of red brick with some timber-framing and the roofs are tiled. The east front has a 4 window range of leaded casements (some old and some replacements), in segmental brick arched heads. Two of the upper storey windows have 3-lights with mullions and transom. There is a central single light window with stone surround and trefoiled head. There are C18 and later alterations and some additions at the courtyard side. The interior has some C17 features and the upper part of the staircase is circa 1620. In the north range the gate house rises slightly above the rest of the range and has a stone 4-centred arch on the north and on the south side. On the south side (courtyard) there are 4 original windows on the upper storey with cinquefoil heads. The north front has mainly leaded casements and there are 2 original windows with cinquefoil heads. Above the archway there is an original 3-light window with stone mullions, other windows are modern. The interior has a good late C17 staircase. The south wing is much altered with 4 modern semi-circular brick arches on the south side. The west range is used as farm buildings. (RCHM 3).

Listing NGR: TL4994230216

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 411285

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing