GREAT DIXTER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1216957
Date first listed:
03-Aug-1961
Statutory Address:
GREAT DIXTER, HIGH PARK

Map

Ordnance survey map of GREAT DIXTER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1216957 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Jul-2019 at 21:40:05.

Location

Statutory Address:
GREAT DIXTER, HIGH PARK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
East Sussex
District:
Rother (District Authority)
Parish:
Northiam
National Grid Reference:
TQ 81968 25105

Details

TQ 82 NW NORTHIAM HIGH PARK

7/3 Great Dixter

3.8.61 I

This house was restored and arranged in its present fashion by Sir Edwin Lutyens in 1910-1912 for Nathaniel Lloyd, the author of "The History of the English House" and other standard works. It is in three parts. The north-west wing is a timber-framed hall-house of unusually fine proportions and preservation, 1464- 1479 circa. The south-east wing is a house of a similar type but smaller size which was brought here from Benenden in Kent and re-erected. The north-east wing is a Lutyens addition containing the offices built on the site of the buttery wing of the original house, demolished before 1909. The original portion of the house is close-studded. The first floor of the north-westernmost window bay on the entrance front oversails on the protruding ends of the floor joists. It has a gable above the scalloped bargeboards. At the other end of the front is a 2-storey gabled porch with its first floor oversailing on a bressummer and brackets, the ground floor with open arcaded sides. Two tiers of 5 windows made up of thin round-headed lights. The garden front has wide overhanging eaves supported on brackets and a projecting tile hung portion at the north west end. The end wall has a massive sandstone chimney breast. Tiled roof. Inside, the subsequently-inserted first floor has been removed from the hall, and both this and the solar at the north west end have their original king-post roofs, the former also hammer beams. The Benenden house is also close-studded. Its east front is jettied on the protruding ends of the floor joists. Tiled roof. Original windows with wooden mullions. Two storeys. Three windows. The modern wing added by Lutyens is of red brick on the ground floor and tile-hung above. Tiled roof. Two storeys. Four windows.

Listing NGR: TQ8196825105

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
411593
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 Aug 2005
Reference: IOE01/12729/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Clive Read. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].