This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1217408



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Ware

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 08-May-1950

Date of most recent amendment: 13-Sep-1995

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 412281

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



TL3514SE BLUECOAT YARD 829-1/9/46 (West side) 08/05/50 Nos.3-12 (Consecutive) (Formerly Listed as: BLUECOAT YARD Nos.3-12 (each item listed separately))


Terrace of 10 houses, all one building, built as `nurse cottages' for Bluecoat School. c1687-89. Timber-framed, plastered, pebbledashed and colourwashed, old tiled roof, above coved plastered eaves cornice, with one gabled casement dormer to each dwelling, 5 red brick chimneys, with projecting central flue giving T-plan, with oversailing courses. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and attics. One 3-light casement with glazing bars on ground and first floors of each dwelling. Nos 3 and 12 at block ends have single entrance doors, recessed in architrave frames with weatherboard heads; entrance doors of remainder paired - Nos 4 and 5, 6 and 7, 8 and 9, 10 and 11. Nos 7 and 8 have doors with 2 flush panels, the remainder have late C20 replacement doors. Rear elevation has small-paned casement windows, ground and first floors, and the eaves line broken by four large gabled dormers, with 2 small plain-glazed casement windows, which house the upper flights of the staircases giving access to the attics of each pair. Irregularly spaced C20 casement dormers light rear attics used as habitable rooms. Behind each dwelling, and linked in some by a covered passageway, is a single storey continuous range of washhouses, mid C19 before 1851, colourwashed plastered brickwork, mainly old tiled roofs, but some with corrugated asbestos. INTERIORs: the cottages are simply fitted with ledged plank doors with strap hinges, newel stairs, and evidence of re-used structural timber. HISTORICAL NOTE: Christ's Hospital purchased the Bluecoat Yard buildings in November 1685. Between June 1687 and November 1689 craftsmen were paid over ยป730 for building work, including construction of the cottages, which provided lodgings, under the supervision of nurses, for 150 boys. A Portland stone tablet in the south garden wall of No.3, reset in rebuilt brickwork records: `This wall was built in the sole charge of the Governors of Christ's Hospital in the year 1737'. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N (rev. Cherry B): Hertfordshire: Harmondsworth: 1977-: 379; Forrester H: Timber Framed Buildings in Hertford and Ware: Hitchin: 1964-: 47-48; Smith JT: Hertfordshire Houses. Selective Inventory: London: 1993-: 196-7; Perman D: Ware UD. List of buildings of special arch or historic interest: 1993-: 13; Rowe V Dr: The Bluecoat Children in Ware 1564-1761: Ware Society: 1983-; Ware 25" to 1 Mile. Surveyed by the Ordnance Survey Department: 1851-; The Victoria History of the County of Hertford: London: 1912-: 381; Christ's Hospital Archives Map: 1685-; Christ's Hospital Archives, Building Accounts: 1680-1697; East Herts Archaeological Society Transactions 1932-33: Lee WH: The Old Blue-coat School Ware: Hertford: 1934-: 333-7).

Listing NGR: TL3589414384

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, A, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1912), 381
Forrester, H , Timber Framed Buildings in Hertford and Ware, (1964), 47-48
Lee, W H, The Old Bluecoat School Ware, (1934), 333-7
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977), 379
Smith, J T, Hertfordshire Houses Selective Inventory, (1993), 196-7
'Transactions of the East Hertfordshire Archaeological Society' in Transactions of the East Hertfordshire Archaeological Society, (1932)
'Transactions of the East Hertfordshire Archaeological Society' in Transactions of the East Hertfordshire Archaeological Society, (1933)
'Ware Society Newsletter' in Ware Society Newsletter, (1983)

National Grid Reference: TL 35894 14384


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1217408 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2017 at 09:36:10.

End of official listing