This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1218041



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Manchester

District Type: Metropolitan Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 25-Jan-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 388130

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



SJ8398NE FENNEL STREET 698-1/26/136 (South side) 25/01/52 Cathedral Church of St Mary


Collegiate parish church, cathedral since 1847. Mostly c.1422-1520, perhaps incorporating some earlier fabric; altered, restored or rebuilt 1814-15, 1862-8 by J.P.Holden, 1885-6 by J.S.Crowther and 1898 by Basil Champneys; annexes added 1903 by Champneys and 1934 by Sir Percy Worthington; bomb damaged 1940 and subsequently restored and rebuilt by Sir Hubert Worthington. Sandstone. Perpendicular style. West tower rebuilt 1867 with west porch of 1898 and choir rooms, 6-bay nave with north and south aisles with north and south chantries, north porch rebuilt 1891 and south porch of 1891, 6-bay choir with north and south aisles with chapels, C15 south Chapter House, and east Lady Chapel, destroyed 1940 and rebuilt; south annexes. In 2nd World War Manchester was, after Coventry, the most damaged English Cathedral but the interior retains amongst other fittings excellent choir stalls of c.1505-10 with misericords. There are also the probably early C16 pulpitum restored and with cornice of 1872, the parclose screens altered C18 and the screens of the choir chantries. Fine nave and restored choir roofs. In the Lady Chapel a restored C15 screen, and in the Derby Chapel a fragmentary early C16 brass to Bishop Stanley and the C18 font. There are also the Saxon angel stone, a brass in the choir to its builder John Huntingdon, and the statues of Humphrey Chetham by William Theed, 1853, and Thomas Fleming by Baily, 1851. In the west porch a statue of Queen Victoria sculpted and presented by her daughter Princess Louise, and over the entrance to the south annexe a carving of 1933 by Eric Gill. (Buildings of England: N Pevsner: South Lancashire: PP273-9; Pitkin Guides: H Hodkin: Manchester Cathedral).

Listing NGR: SJ8388498746

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Hodkin, H , Manchester Cathedral
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South Lancashire, (1969)

National Grid Reference: SJ 83881 98750


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1218041 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Jan-2018 at 03:10:09.

End of official listing