770-1/6/159 (South side)
24/02/50 Church of St Mary
(Formerly Listed as:
Parish Church of St. Mary)
Parish church. C12-C14 with Perpendicular windows. Alterations
c1680 when south porch removed; 1814 repairs included renewal
of east window, rebuilding south wall of chancel removing 4
lancets; 1868-70 repairs: closing of west door, removal of
galleries, rebuilding east end of north arcade and east
window, and insertion of new clerestory windows by FRN Haswell
of North Shields; 1873-4 restoration by CH Fowler included
rebuilding tower. 1908 restoration and enlargement of chancel
in 1908 by A Jackson; St Margaret chapel by JC Smith dedicated
MATERIALS: rubble; tower of coursed squared stone, with ashlar
dressings; most roof not visible, some with graduated stone
PLAN: chancel with north Lady chapel and vestry and south
organ chamber, aisled nave with transepts, north porch with
blocked door, north-west tower porch, and south door.
EXTERIOR: blocked priest's door in east wall of south
transept. Diagonal buttresses to chancel, angle at other
corners. North chancel windows are Norman. Restored
Perpendicular tracery in most other windows; 2-centred arches
to east window with 5 lights and to original 3-light east
window in south transept. Others have straight heads. 5-stage
tower with pointed arch to double boarded north doors, 2-light
pointed arch above, blank third stage and clock in fourth;
belfry with paired louvred 2-centred arches; pinnacles to
angles and sides. Late C12 south door of 3 orders with zigzag
and nailhead mouldings. Battlements to all roofs except
vestry, most low-pitched.
INTERIOR: 6 steps up to chancel with partly restored
Perpendicular arch, with double hollow chamfers with Tudor
flowers, on responds with battlemented abaci; head-stopped
hoodmould. Deep splays to round-headed north windows; panelled
walls with wrought-iron fittings. Rood-loft door and corbels.
Nave 3-bay north arcade lengthened to 4 bays, with round
arches on round piers, with square capitals, 2 with spurs,
half-octagonal west respond and east corbel shaft. 4-bay south
arcade with hoodstring to double chamfered 2-centred arches on
octagonal piers. Low pitched roof, restored with cusped ridge
in nave; original chancel roof.
North transept has piscina high in east wall; niche containing
sculpture of man and swine, perhaps St Anthony - which was
removed from the south corner of Newgate to Spring Lodge and
thence here. Tall, wide, octagonal font of fossil
carboniferous limestone, said to be Teesdale `marble', with
alpha and omega and elaborate mason's marks carved on sides.
Blocked north door has double-chamfered pointed arch with
broach stops, abaci with incised zigzag, and inserted window
MEMORIALS: north transept has C14 effigy of Robet de Morton,
vicar of Gainford, with bird, lion and chalice; traceried wood
tower screen is WWI memorial. North aisle has 1899-1902 South
African War memorial to the 3rd Militia Battalion D.L.I.,
signed Keswick School of Industrial Arts, with low relief
bronze and enamel plaque in marble frame. Many other high
quality memorials, especially those transferred to tower which
include large monument with Perpendicular canopy over female
figure, to Sir John Hullock, judge, 1767-1829, signed
Westmacott; and others by Green of Newcastle, Jopling of
Gateshead, Skelton of Yorkshire, Ross of Richmond.
STAINED GLASS: much high quality C19 stained glass, including
some in style of Kempe in chancel; c1912 north transept window
to F Cullis and E Richardson, with delicate quarries, flowers,
fruit and sweeping skies; c1878 north aisle window, south
transept window has grisaille with inset brilliant pictures;
c1890 south aisle west window to T Richardson: Christ
Preaching, with fine faces, tree, lake, sky.
(Typescript notices inside church).
Listing NGR: NZ0507516276
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 25 October 2017.