CHURCH OF ST IGNATIUS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1218482
Date first listed:
27-Sep-1979
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST IGNATIUS, MEADOW STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1218482.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Apr-2021 at 00:04:07.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST IGNATIUS, MEADOW STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
Preston (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SD 54169 29933

Details

PRESTON

SD5429NW MEADOW STREET 941-1/10/205 (North side) 27/09/79 Church of St Ignatius

GV II*

Roman Catholic church. 1833-6, by J.J.Scoles of London, chancel and chapels added 1858 by J.A.Hansom; altered 1885-6 by M.E.Hadfield & Sons, and G.Webster. Chisel-dressed sandstone ashlar, slate roofs. Nave on north-south axis with east and west aisles; south tower with spire, flanked by chapel and baptistry (added 1912), east and west transepts, and chancel with east and west chapels. Perpendicular style. The tower, of 3 unequal stages with set-back buttresses, has the main doorway recessed in a 2-centred arch with inner and outer moulding and a crocketed ogee crest, above this a tall 2-centred arched 3-light window with Perpendicular tracery and a pedestal-mounted statue on the sill, a set-back belfry stage with louvred 2-light windows, an embattled parapet with crocketed corner pinnacles, short flying buttresses from these to an octagonal spire with clock-faces, lucarnes, roll-moulding to the angles, and an apex cross. The flanking baptistry and chapel are square, with parapets, each with a niche statue in the front wall and a large traceried 3-light window in the side. The nave is tall and narrow, the aisles low and broad, both of 5 bays, the aisles with buttresses and wide Tudor-arched 3-light windows and the nave with pilaster strips and large 3-light clerestory windows, all these windows with Perpendicular tracery and hoodmoulds, and both with parapets, those of the nave with tall crocketed pinnacles (some missing). The transepts, slightly lower than the nave, have large 4-light traceried windows, and in the angles with the aisles small added porches. The chancel, 4 bays beyond the transepts, has pilaster strips and 2 traceried clerestory windows in each bay except at the north end which has only one, and various gabled side chapels on both sides in similar style. INTERIOR: 5-bay aisle arcades with clustered piers and moulded 2-centred arches, inner shafts carried up to meet slender wall shafts of roof trusses, which have cusped open-arcading; organ loft in tower, with choir gallery projected into nave; large transept arches in similar style, and confessionals at the end of each (added 1885); 3-bay chancel with arcades also in similar style but with annular caps to the shafts, hoodmoulds to the arches, and angel-corbels to the wall-posts; sanctuary with large transomed window; inner and outer chancel aisles, with chapels at the north ends, various elaborate reredoses etc.



Listing NGR: SD5417429935

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
392093
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Nov 2007
Reference: IOE01/16976/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Lorna Freeman. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].