BISHOP ETON MONASTERY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1218726
Date first listed:
12-Jul-1966
Statutory Address:
BISHOP ETON MONASTERY, WOOLTON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of BISHOP ETON MONASTERY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1218726 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 12:07:07.

Location

Statutory Address:
BISHOP ETON MONASTERY, WOOLTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Liverpool (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 40562 88392

Details

SJ 4088 WOOLTON ROAD L16

35/1389 Bishop Eton 12.7.66 Monastery

G.V. II*

Monastery with attached chapel. Monastery, 1858, Edward Welby Pugin with extensions of 1889. Chapel begun 1851, Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin, completed, 1858, Edward Welby Pugin. Monastery of brick with stone dressings, slate mansard roof probably later. Original part of 2 storeys with attic and 9 bays, central 5 bays break forward. Band between floors and sill bands. Windows have wedge lintels and are sashed with glazing bars. Extension to right of 4 bays, 3 storeys, recessed end 2 bays of 2 storeys. Windows of 2 and 3 segmental-headed lights. 1st bay projects and forms base to tower. Weathering flanked by buttresses above the 2nd floor, then clock face in square stone surround with canopy and swept pyramidal roof with louvred bell stage. Chapel has nave with aisles under lean-to roofs, no clerestory, chancel is with transepts, that to north a chapel, and canted end. West window of 5 lights with Decorated tracery; flanking buttresses, that to south has canted inner angle for stair turret, 2-light segmental pointed windows to ends of aisle. West entrance of one over. Aisles have 2 segmental-headed 3-light windows, the western bays are gabled with hexagonal slates to roof and pointed 2-light windows. North transept has 3-light north window and east rose window. Chancel has 5 cusped lights. Interior of chapel: 3-bay nave arcade on round columns with good carved capitals; hoodmould with stops in form of evangelists' symbols. Waggon roof on angel corbels. Aisle windows in recesses, those to south with confessionals. Chancel and chapel have stencilled panelling; arch between them. On south side of chancel 3 segmental pointed openings, the central one on entrance to monks' seating area; 3-bay triforium of 2-light pointed openings, now glazed. Elaborate reredos and alters, that to chancel brought forward. Chapel has silver sanctuary lamps in form of ships. C19 stained glass, some by Hardman, west window by Kempe.

Listing NGR: SJ4056288392

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
359770
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Jan 2003
Reference: IOE01/08743/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Patrick Norris. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].