Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1218876.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 08-Mar-2021 at 04:06:35.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 57983 74983



ST5774 REDLAND GREEN ROAD, Redland 901-1/34/1723 (South side) 08/01/59 Redland Chapel


Chapel. 1740-43. Probably by John Strahan. Plasterwork by Thomas Paty. For John Cossins of Redland Court (qv). Limestone ashlar and leaded dome, roof not visible. Chancel and nave. Baroque style. Square chancel has rusticated quoins, sill band, cornice and parapet, with blind lunette with Gibbsian architrave on Moor's head corbels below the band; 4-bay N elevation of semicircular-arched windows with panelled architraves, imposts and keys, aprons below the band and plain frieze under cornice, with sections of blind balustrade over windows. Similar S elevation. W front is an engaged portico, 2 pairs of Ionic pilasters to modillion pediment containing lunette with floral architrave; segmental-headed 2-leaf panelled door in eared architrave with scrolled key, garland and floating cornice and rustication either side, beneath shell-head niche with volute feet and winged cherub set in raised panel; on the pediment a square plinth with urns at corners, which curves up into an octagonal cupola with keyed oculi on the principal sides, cornice on acanthus brackets and gadrooned octagonal dome with gilded ball and cross. INTERIOR: fine and complete. At E end winged cherubs round the lunette, with octagonal coffering to chancel ceiling, and a cornice running round into a pulvinated frieze flanking semicircular chancel arch, on fluted pilasters; panelled wainscotting with winged cherub-head corbels to fluted pilasters flanking windows, coffered reveals, and plaster decoration to spandrels; at W end a shouldered architrave with console key below pediment leads to octagonal vestibule, semicircular keyed arches either side, below 3 equal arches to gallery, with blind balustrades to flanking elliptical arches, and niches between containing busts. FITTINGS: pulpit with tester by Paty, carved with trophies; hexagonal baluster font 1755 by Thomas Paty; marble Communion table on gilded eagle in style of Kent. Monuments: busts of John and Martha Cossins by Rysbrack in gallery. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: flight of Pennant stone steps to entrance returns at the ends with a wrought-iron rail. Attribution is not proven, and William Halfpenny, who supervised completion, may also have been the architect. (Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 135; Ison W: The Georgian Buildings of Bristol: Bath: 1952-: 55; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Somerset and Bristol: London: 1958-: 470; Dening C F W: The Eighteenth Century Architecture of Bristol: Bristol: 1923-: 85).

Listing NGR: ST5798174983


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Dening, C F W , The Eighteenth Century Architecture of Bristol, (1923), 85
Gomme, A H, Jenner, M, Little, B D G, Bristol, An Architectural History, (1979), 135
Ison, W, The Georgian Buildings of Bristol, (1952), 55
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958), 470


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/04643/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Cemlyn. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].