LYTHAM ST ANNES
SD32NE LYTHAM PARK, Lytham
621-1/3/68 Lytham Hall
Manor house. Principally 1752-64, by John Carr of York, but
incorporating remodelled elements of its early C17 predecessor
in courtyard ranges to rear; recently restored.
Red brick in Flemish bond with fine tuck pointing, dressings
of stone and some stucco painted white, hipped roof of
graduated Cumberland slate.
Rectangular double-depth central entrance/stairhall plan under
2-span roof, facing east, with an earlier rectangular
courtyard to the rear and a south-west wing continued from the
south-west corner of this. Palladian style.
The main range is 3 storeys, 3:3:3 bays, symmetrical, with a
pedimented centre breaking forwards slightly, rusticated
quoins, a deep plinth, sillbands to the ground and 1st floors,
a broad stepped band separating the ground floor from the
upper floors which are very slightly set back, a giant order
of engaged Ionic columns to the upper floors of the centre,
and a plain frieze and modillioned cornice. Details of the
design subtly suggest a rustic and a piano nobile (belied by
The ground floor has rusticated quoins to the centre, and
12-pane sashed windows which have Gibbs surrounds with triple
keystones, pulvinated friezes and moulded cornices, and in the
centre 3 semicircular steps to a round-headed doorway with a
pedimented Doric architrave.
The 1st floor has 12-pane sashes with smooth architraves
(those in the centre shouldered) including pulvinated fiezes
and moulded cornices; the 2nd floor has small square 6-pane
windows with plain surrounds, except those in the centre which
have scrolled sills and heads.
The roof has 2 ridge chimneys flanking the centre, and lateral
chimneys to the side ridges.
The 6-bay left return side, which is very regular, also has
Gibbs surrounds to the ground floor windows, but with
quintuple keystones instead of cornices; and the 1st floor
windows have shouldered architraves.
The 5-bay right-hand return, the centre breakng forwards
slightly, has similar fenestration except that the 2 windows
to the left at ground floor though glazed like the others, are
false (backed by panelling); and a pedimented Tuscan porch to
the centre, and a segmental-pediment to the window above.
The rear of this block has (inter alia) a large Venetian
INTERIOR: many very fine original features and decoration,
including entrance hall with bolection-moulded panels,
black-and-white diamond-pattern flagged floor, plaster
ceiling, open-pedimented archtraves to doorways; ballroom with
Adam-style decoration, and Etruscan-style painted wallpaper,
gilt-framed mirrors between the windows, and Wedgwood-style
plaster ceiling (out of symmetry with the walls); dining room
with coved buffet.
Staircase hall with very fine imperial staircase, plaster
panels with various trophies, and plaster ceiling with central
relief medallion depicting Jupiter; Corinthian screen to
landing; much decoration of equivalent quality in 1st floor
rooms, including principal chamber with screen enclosing 2
powder closets; and at 2nd floor 2 rooms completely lined with
C17 muntin-and-rail panelling (probably relocated from the
The rear courtyard is enclosed by 3 low 2-storey ranges which
appear to be mid C18 remodelling of portions of the earlier
house, the north containing the former kitchen, the west and
south containing some C16 and C17 fabric, of which the most
important parts are elaborately moulded beams, secondary beams
and joists visible at ground floor of the west range, and a
long gallery at 1st floor of the south range (now recognisable
as such only by its lengthy undulating floor).
Continued from the south-west corner of the courtyard is a
long 2-storey range (with rainwater head dated 1752) said to
have contained a chapel.
Listing NGR: SD3569527971