Parish Church of St. Andrew

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1219764
Date first listed:
06-Apr-1967
Statutory Address:
Parish Church of St. Andrew, Boxford

Map

Ordnance survey map of Parish Church of St. Andrew
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1219764.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 20:06:12.

Location

Statutory Address:
Parish Church of St. Andrew, Boxford

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
West Berkshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Boxford
National Grid Reference:
SU 42871 71632

Details

SU 4271 11/3

BOXFORD BOXFORD Parish Church of St. Andrew

6.4.67

GV II*

Parish church. C13 and C15. West tower of c.1692. North aisle and vestry of 1841. Restored in 1908 by J.O. Scott and Sons. Nave and chancel cement rendered with Bath stone dressings and tiled roofs. Tower and north aisles of banded flint and brick with Bath stone dressings. Brick and tile porch. West tower, nave, north aisle, south porch, vestry and chancel.

Tower has three stages. First stage with diagonal buttresses to west. Embattled parapet. Six-light square headed windows on west face of first stage; one-light openings north and south on second stage and two-light square headed openings on all faces of bell chamber. Sun-dial east of bell chamber opening on south face. South side of nave has one one-light and two two-light square headed windows with cinquefoils in heads, and hood moulds. Head on one-light window probably C19. Gabled south porch with arched opening. C13 south doorway with probably medieval door. North aisle has two square headed two-light windows as those in nave. Two to north and one at east end. Chancel has C19 arched south doorway and one one-light square headed window with probably C19 cinquefoiled head and hood mould. C19 east window with panelled tracery, and hood mould with grotesque stops.

Interior. Semi-circular tower arch of c.1692 with Coat of Arms above in nave. Nave. North arcade with lozenge-shaped piers and depressed arches with continuous moulding probably by J.O. Scott of 1908. C19 font. C15 font with octagonal, panelled bowl. Early C17 pulpit. Double-framed roof with some old timbers. North aisle. C18 barrel organ at west end. C18. Chancel. Chancel arch probably of 1908. Roof of similar date. Easter Sepulchre consisting of recessed arch in north wall. Ogee headed piscina. C17 monument on north wall of Jacob Anderton. C18 Communion rails with twisted balusters. Carved head of probably C12 pillar piscina. One side smooth and three with volutes.

Listing NGR: SU4287171632

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
393681
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1924), 46
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1975), 92
Websites
British Geological Survey, Strategic Stone Study, accessed 5 February 2020 from https://www.bgs.ac.uk/mineralsuk/buildingStones/StrategicStoneStudy/EH_atlases.html

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Mar 2003
Reference: IOE01/09517/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Roger Ryton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].