JOHNSON'S FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1219837
Date first listed:
07-Jan-1952
Statutory Address:
JOHNSON'S FARMHOUSE, LAFFORD LANE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1219837.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Apr-2021 at 23:06:28.

Location

Statutory Address:
JOHNSON'S FARMHOUSE, LAFFORD LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
West Lancashire (District Authority)
Parish:
Up Holland
National Grid Reference:
SD 52264 06937

Details

UP HOLLAND

SD50NW LAFFORD LANE 783-1/2/41 (East side) 07/01/52 Johnson's Farmhouse

GV II*

Farmhouse. Dated 1647 on gable of south wing, but the main range may be late medieval/earlier C16 in origin; altered. Cream-painted roughcast render probably on sandstone rubble, composition tile roof. H-plan: one-bay hall-range with north and south crosswings, the latter incorporating an integral porch. Single-storey hall and 2-storey wings, 1:1:2 windows. The south wing has the porch in its left side with a Tudor-arched outer doorway and a studded inner door with strap hinges, above the doorway a square datestone with chamfered surround and raised lettering: N/ IE/ 1647, and mullioned windows of 4 lights at ground floor, and 2 and 4 lights at 1st floor, both the larger windows lacking the central mullion, those at 1st floor more deeply recessed and with double-chamfered heads, all with rendered mullions, a hoodmould over that at ground floor and a similar hoodmould over both at 1st floor. To the left the low hall-range has a modern 3-light casement window; the north wing has an altered 3-light window at ground floor, and a formerly 4-light double-chamfered mullioned window at 1st floor now lacking the 1st and 3rd mullions, with a hoodmould. Ridge chimney in line with porch. The right-hand return wall of the south wing has mullioned windows of 1 and 5 lights with hoodmoulds; the rear has various small casement windows. INTERIOR: some features of the hall range suggest that it may have originated as a late medieval open hall, perhaps aisled: it is very wide, and at the north end there are 2 posts, that on the east side roll-moulded (like a spere-post), the other plain but based on the stub of a timber sill mounted on a stone plinth; and between them a shallow sloped studded cove or canopy, suggesting either a former spere truss or a dais; at opposite end a very large inglenook with moulded stone heck and straight timber bressumer with similar coving above it; and ceiling carried on large spine beam with pair of secondary lateral beams; in roof space of hall-range, remains of fire-hood above the inglenook, but no continuation of the possible spere-posts at the lower end. HISTORY: probably originally a timber-framed open-hall (perhaps aisled), cased in stone and a ceiling inserted when the south wing was built in 1647; north wing added in later C17 (probably replacing north end of hall-range); occupied in 1650s by John Naylor, yeoman, and his wife Ellen. Forms a group with barn approx 10 metres south-east (qv) and with pair of cottages on opposite (west) side of lane (qv). (Private Report and Survey: Miller G: 1987-).

Listing NGR: SD5226406937

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
389005
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].