Church of St Mary

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1220107
Date first listed:
06-Apr-1967
Statutory Address:
Church of St Mary, Chieveley, Newbury

Map

Ordnance survey map of Church of St Mary
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1220107.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 20:15:54.

Location

Statutory Address:
Church of St Mary, Chieveley, Newbury

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
West Berkshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Chieveley
National Grid Reference:
SU 47444 74096

Details

SU 47SE 4/21

CHIEVELEY CHIEVELEY Church of St. Mary

6.4.67

II*

Church. C13 chancel and C14 tower with nave, south porch, north aisle and vestry of 1873 by J.W. Hugall. Rendered with Bath stone and chalk dressings; 1873 work of flint with Bath stone dressings and lacing courses; tiled roofs. West tower, nave, south porch, north aisle, vestry and chancel.

West tower: two stages; with two low C19 buttresses to west. C13 first stage; depressed arched doorway to west with quatrefoils in spandrels and hood mould with carved stops. Three small lancets above each other to west, and two on northern and southern faces. C14 bell stage with diagonal buttresses, battlemented parapet, and two-light openings with quatrefoils in heads, on all faces. String course between stages with corner gargoyles. Clock to east, and cupola with weathervane.

Nave: south side with two paired lancets and two single lancets, with hood moulds. Semicircular arched south doorway with single order and cushion capitals. Gabled south-porch with cross at apex, moulded arch, and low clasping buttresses.

North aisle: four lancets.

Chancel: C13, with string course carried round at feet of lancets. Triple lancets at east end with continuous roll moulding and hood mould. Pair of lancets with hollow mouldings, in north and south walls. Door, and C15 square headed window with two ogee lights, breaking through string course to south-west. Two low buttresses to east.

Vestry: window to east with two ogee lights, and door with hood mould.

Interior. Nave: five bay arcade to north with round piers, moulded capitals, chamfered arches and hood moulds with carved stops. Tower and chancel arches of similar style. Chancel: triple lancets to east with continuous roll moulding and shafts with stiff leaf capitals and moulded cases. Central arch-braced tie beam with traceried spandrels. C19 piscina with hood mould; Jacobean pulpit with blank arches and arabesques; C15 font with octagonal bowl.

Monuments: Fincher, 1688, in chancel; Triggs, 1723, in nave; Hillman, 1745, in nave; Spicer, 1721, in nave.

Listing NGR: SU4744474096

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
393922
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1924), 65-66
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1975), 113
Websites
British Geological Survey, Strategic Stone Study, accessed 5 February 2020 from https://www.bgs.ac.uk/mineralsuk/buildingStones/StrategicStoneStudy/EH_atlases.html

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Jul 2004
Reference: IOE01/12940/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David S. Biggin. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].