This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1220484



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: South Gloucestershire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Cold Ashton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 15-Aug-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 394227

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



9/20 Church of Holy Trinity

G.V. I

Parish church. C14 tower, rest rebuilt between 1508 and 1540 by the Rector, Thomas Key; restored 1894 by Augustus Frere. Coursed freestone tower, the rest in rubble, stone dressings, ashlar parapets, porch partly rendered. West tower, nave, south porch, south aisle, chancel, north vestry. Early English tower, the rest late Perpendicular. 2-stage tower has west window at first stage of 2 lights with ogee heads, chamfered mullion and surround, leaded lights at upper part, 2nd stage has lancet and 2-light window with round heads, all with Cotswold stone bell louvres and chamfered surrounds; north elevation has similar lancet at 2nd stage; south elevation has similar larger 2-light window at 2nd stage, stair turret with 2 lancets and pyramidal cap at south east corner, single light to east at 2nd stage; plinth, diagonal weathered buttresses, weathered strings, embattled parapet with crocketed pinnacles. 3-bay nave has north elevation with one 3- light window to west, ogee heads to lights, chamfered tracery, leaded lights, 4-centred arched head with moulded hood mould, stops with rebus of Thomas Key, blocked ogee-headed chamfered door beneath; clerestorey has similar 2-light window in each bay, ogee heads with circle in spandrel, without rebus to stops; projecting stair turret for pulpit and rood stair, with weathered pyramidal cap; plinth, weathered buttresses, moulded string and cornice, embattled parapet with 4 pinnacles rising through merlons. To south, clerestorey visible above aisle with same (restored) windows. Porch and aisle in one block, porch has double door with depressed 4-centred arched head in 3 moulded and chamfered orders, hollow moulded hood mould, stops with rebus of Thomas Key; 3-bay aisle has 3 south windows and one to east, as on north nave (restored), plinth, weathered diagonal buttresses, moulded cornice, embattled parapet and pinnacles as on nave, pitched roof at east end with parapet at angle. Chancel has south window as on aisle, narrow door with chamfered ogee head, similar 4-light east window, 2-light window to north with depressed 4-centred arched heads, moulded surrounds, incised spandrels, splayed chamfered reveal; weathered external ashlar stack, plinth, weathered diagonal buttresses, moulded cornice, shallow gable to east end, embattled parapet and, pinnacles, central ogee-shaped merlon with decorative finial. Vestry in same style has 2-light east window as on clerestorey, moulded cornice, embattled parapet and pinnacle. Interior: porch has early C18 door with strap hinges with 4-centred arched head, hollow-chamfered surround, rebus of Thomas Key and foliage in spandrels, moulded stone architrave, stone benches, shallow pitched roof with ridge and side purlins. Steep pointed tower arch of 2 continuous chamfers, deep splayed reveal to west window, all other windows in shallow splayed reveals; south door in basket-arched reveal. Nave has Perpendicular stone pulpit to north with crocketed and vaulted pinnacled canopy, depressed 4-centred arched door leading to stair to pulpit and newel stair to rood loft, similar door remaining at upper level. 2-bay south arcade has one octagonal column and 2 engaged columns, moulded capitals as imposts for 4-centred arches of 3 moulded orders. Nave has 5-bay roof with cambered tie-beams and common rafters, aisle has 5-bay roof with heavy cambered beam and 3 rows of purlins; heavy chamfered beam with step and run-out stops between chancel arch and south wall of chancel. High chancel arch has squint on south side to former chantry chapel, south door with ogee head and deep reveal, north door to vestry has 4-centred arched head and moulded surround; chancel has 3-bay roof of very shallow pitch with ridge purlin, principal and common rafters, all chamfered. Fittings: C19 Perpendicular oak pulpit, carved wooden pews and lecterns in chancel. Carved reredos panelling to each side of altar, similar dado panelling at east end of aisle. Font in nave, early C16, octagonal bowl enriched with quatrefoils in circles and 3 or 4 leaf flower centres, plain octagonal pillar. Royal arms of George I on west wall of nave. Monument in chancel with brass inscription to Thomas Key, 1540. Monuments in nave include Baroque tablet with swags, putti and shield, to Evan Jones, 1738; marble tablet to Elizabeth Whittington, 1816, by T. King of Bath; marble tablet to Elizabeth Kater, 1835, by R. Waller of Bristol; marble tablet to George Whittington, 1841, by Reeves of Bath; stone tablet with egg and dart surround to Philip James, 1739, and other members of the family; oval stone tablet surmounted by lion's head, inscription illegible. Marble monument with reeded pilasters in aisle, to John Gunning, 1798, by W. Lancashire of Bath. Fragments of early C16 glass in the tracery of the east window of the aisle, 2 with Thomas Key's rebus. External monuments: stone tablet on east wall of aisle, to Jeremiah Caswell, 1788, and other members of the family; unidentified stone tablet, C18, with pediment, on east wall of chancel. (Sources: Verey, D.: Buildings of England Gloucestershire : The Cotswolds. 1970).

Listing NGR: ST7510272738

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds, (1970)

National Grid Reference: ST 75103 72737


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1220484 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2017 at 10:15:05.

End of official listing