WOODCOCK HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1221001
Date first listed:
11-May-1953
Statutory Address:
WOODCOCK HALL, COBB'S BROW LANE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1221001.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Apr-2021 at 02:31:47.

Location

Statutory Address:
WOODCOCK HALL, COBB'S BROW LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
West Lancashire (District Authority)
Parish:
Newburgh
National Grid Reference:
SD 48310 09828

Details

SD40NE 663-1/5/111

NEWBURGH COBB'S BROW LANE (East side) Woodcock Hall 11/05/53

II* Lesser gentry house, now house and office. Dated 1719 on rainwater heads; altered in C19 and C20 and recently restored. Built by James Spencer of Newburgh in Lathom (d.1723). Handmade brown brick in Flemish bond with tuck pointing, coursed sandstone rubble plinth, stone slate roof. Rectangular double-depth plan under lateral 3-span roof. A symmetrical triple-gabled facade of two-and-a-half storeys and 3 structural bays with four 1st-floor windows; with a high plinth, a one-course band at 1st floor, a moulded and coped 3-course band at 2nd floor, and restored wooden modillioned verges with bargeboards and finials. The ground floor has a central doorway with moulded wooden doorcase, a door with 2 raised moulded panels and an intermediate rail, and a floating semi-circular hood on elaborately-carved brackets; and 4 wooden cross-windows which have 6 panes in the lower lights and 4 in the upper, the lower right light opening as a casement, and deep flat-arched heads of gauged red brick. The 1st floor has 4 similar windows. The top floor has one similar but slightly smaller window in each gable, and at the junctions of the gables 2 large rainwater heads with elaborate decoration including shields of arms with griffon supporters framed by detached pilasters, and raised lettering on the base: "JSC" (= James and Catherine Spencer), and "1719" respectively. Two chimneys on an axial ridge between the gables. The left return wall has a small C20 porch at ground floor, breaking into the lower of 2 former stair-windows, and 4 other windows, all these windows segmental-headed but otherwise like those at the front; the right-hand return has 2 similar windows on each floor. The rear has a C19 single-storey kitchen wing to the 1st bay,patched brick-work to the 3rd bay (following removal of a C20 addition), and various segmental-headed windows like the others, including 2 stair-windows to the centre bay. INTERIOR: central entrance hall containing wooden alcove with fluted pilasters, triglyph frieze and dentilled cornice with egg-and-dart decoration; large inglenook in left range, with stop-chamfered bressummer (and now restored to working condition); doglegged staircase with open-string, turned balusters and moulded handrail; fielded panel doors like the front door. An unusual example of vernacular building at gentry level in the C18, with an exceptionally complete set of cross-windows (a type particularly vulnerable to later replacement with double-hung sashes).

Listing NGR: SD4831009828

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
386349
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Apr 2005
Reference: IOE01/13160/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Cross. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].