Church of St. James

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1221003
Date first listed:
06-Apr-1967
Statutory Address:
Church of St. James, Winterbourne Road, Winterbourne

Map

Ordnance survey map of Church of St. James
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1221003.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 11:14:54.

Location

Statutory Address:
Church of St. James, Winterbourne Road, Winterbourne

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
West Berkshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Winterbourne
National Grid Reference:
SU 45069 71939

Details

SU 47SE 4/12

WINTERBOURNE WINTERBOURNE ROAD Church of St. James

6.4.67

GV II*

Church. C12, C13 and mid C18. Chancel restored by Hudson in 1895, the rest by J.W. Hugall in 1854. Flint with Bath stone dressings, brick, some tile hanging, and tiled roof with catslides over aisles. West tower, nave, north and south aisles, south porch, chancel and vestry.

West tower: grey brick with red dressings. Three stages separated by string courses, plinth and battlemented parapet with stone coping. Diagonal buttresses to first stage. Arched west door with fanlight, arched opening above on second stage and louvred arched bell chamber openings on all sides.

South aisle: two-light cusped windows to west and south, and triple cusped lancets to east. South doorway with moulded arch, hood mould and carved stops. Gabled south porch with carved coat of arms in apex, moulded arch and trefoiled openings in east and west sides.

North aisle: two bays with paired lancets; two to north and one to west. Diagonal buttresses at corners.

Chancel: south side with probably re-set C13 paired lancets with C19 heads to west; central chamfered doorway; and lancet to east. Early C14 east window with three ogee headed lights.

Vestry to north east of chancel with two-light east window with trefoiled heads and quatrefoil above. Blocked doorway to south. Stack with moulded cap to south east. Vestry to north west with two circular windows.

Interior: two bay arcades to north and south with circular piers, moulded capitals and hood moulds with carved stops. Chancel with two semi-circular arches to north. All roofs and fittings C19. West tower dated 1759.

Listing NGR: SU4506971939

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
394575
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1924), 66-67
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1975), 307
Websites
British Geological Survey, Strategic Stone Study, accessed 5 February 2020 from https://www.bgs.ac.uk/mineralsuk/buildingStones/StrategicStoneStudy/EH_atlases.html

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Feb 2005
Reference: IOE01/13504/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Rendle. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].