DALEMAIN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1221057
Date first listed:
27-Dec-1967
Statutory Address:
DALEMAIN

Map

Ordnance survey map of DALEMAIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1221057 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2019 at 03:08:20.

Location

Statutory Address:
DALEMAIN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
Eden (District Authority)
Parish:
Dacre
National Park:
LAKE DISTRICT
National Grid Reference:
NY 47712 26876

Details

NY 42 NE DACRE DALEMAIN

16/43 Dalemain 27.12.67

G.V. I

Large country house. C15 with C16 additions, C17 alterations and extensive mid 1730's extensions, the initials E.H. over the entrance (Edward Hasell). Earliest parts of calciferous sandstone rubble with pink sandstone rubble extensions and flush quoins. C18 parts of pink sandstone ashlar with rusticated pilasters, string course, open-balustraded parapet and V-jointed quoins, all on moulded plinth. C18 lead downspouts. Graduated hipped greenslate roof with sandstone ashlar chimney stacks. 2-storey, 9-bay facade with wings built around a small courtyard, the rear range incorporating the original house. Facade has central panelled doors in fluted-pilaster pedimented doorcase. Sash windows with glazing bars in stone architraves with false keystones. The 2 end bays at either side are divided by pilasters. Left return wall has 2 bays of similar sash windows; the 5-bay wing has sash windows in stone surrounds. The right return wall has 2 bays similar to the facade, then the 2-bay wing which is carried up to full parapet height for 3½ storeys, with small and large sash windows in stone surrounds. The original house is of 2 or 3 builds, the walls raised to form a uniform parapet in the C18. The central bays are a C15 hall adjoined by what has been interpreted as a tower, but appears to be an integral part of the hall range exhibiting similar C15 features and wall thicknesses. Left C17 chamfered-surround doorway under a large C17 cross-mullioned window. 2- and 3-light stone-mullioned windows, all under hoodmoulds, continuous on lower floor, broken on the upper floor by an C18 sash window beside a blocked 2-light window retaining its hoodmould. Central large chimney stack projects from the parapet, off-set on its right side for its full height. Further sash windows with glazing bars in C18 surrounds between chimney stack and staircase windows, which are in chamfered surrounds. The lowest one is 2-light and between these windows is a cross-and-circle vent stone. The far right 2 bays are part of the C18 wing; the far left bay is a C16 extension with 2-light stone-mullioned windows under hoodmoulds, continued on the left return wall. The inside of the courtyard shows the original front wall of the hall range now with a central late C17 bolection-moulded doorway and sash windows with glazing bars in C18 stone surrounds. The original windows of 2 periods are now blocked but traces remain. The interior has a broad C15 newel staircase and a smaller similar blocked staircase. Beamed ceilings, late C16 panelled rooms with moulded plasterwork. Remainder of the house has C18 features such as panelling, doors, ceilings and woodwork. See Country Life 14, 21 and 28 March 1952, pp.736-9, 820-4, 908-11.

Listing NGR: NY4771226876

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
73762
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Country Life' in 28 March, (1952), 908-11
'Country Life' in 14 March, (1952), 736-9
'Country Life' in 21 March, (1952), 820-4
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 9 Cumbria,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/01277/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Bryan C Lindley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].