ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF THE SACRED HEART, AND ATTACHED RAILINGS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1221068

Date first listed: 15-Mar-1993

Statutory Address: ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF THE SACRED HEART AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, QUEEN'S AVENUE

Map

Ordnance survey map of ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF THE SACRED HEART, AND ATTACHED RAILINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1221068 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Feb-2019 at 18:58:26.

Location

Statutory Address: ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF THE SACRED HEART AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, QUEEN'S AVENUE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: City of Stoke-on-Trent (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SJ 86442 51304

Details

SJ 85 SE; 613-1/2/164

STOKE ON TRENT, TUNSTALL, Queen's Avenue (south-east side)

Roman Catholic Church of the Sacred Heart, and attached railings

II

Roman Catholic Church. 1925-1930. By J S Brocklesby, completed by P J Ryan, the parish priest. Rusticated stone with copper domed roofs. NW tower, nave with two aisles, chancel and ambulatory. Romanesque Basilica style. North-west tower with round-arched doorway in north wall and tiers of blank arcading over, elongated in second stage. Bell chamber lights also form part of an arcaded tier. Pilaster buttresses at angles form small pinnacles to parapet. Giant archway to west door with chevron moulding, frieze and round-arched window above, all contained beneath giant archway. Interlaced arcading in stepped gable, and decorated round stair turret to SW. Nave divided into bays by deep buttresses over the flat roofed aisles. Each bay contains three round-arched windows in the aisle, and a tier of 3-lights to the clerestory. A series of three domes form the roof. Apsidal east end with ambulatory. The church is bounded on the north by a low stone wall with wrought-iron railings with geometric Art Nouveau detailing.

INTERIOR arcades of clustered, banded shafts. A series of side altars in the north aisle, and the main altar, all marble, richly decorated with inlay and mosaic. Simply carved bench ends. Much of the labour of building the church, and some of the internal decoration said to have been provided by the parishioners themselves during the Depression.

Listing NGR: SJ8644251304

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 384472

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Stafford, (1963)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Staffordshire, (1974), 265

End of official listing