Church of St. Bartholomew

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1221092
Date first listed:
14-Apr-1967
Statutory Address:
Church of St. Bartholomew, Lower Basildon, RG8 9NH

Map

Ordnance survey map of Church of St. Bartholomew
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1221092.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 18:33:02.

Location

Statutory Address:
Church of St. Bartholomew, Lower Basildon, RG8 9NH

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
West Berkshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Basildon
National Grid Reference:
SU 61166 79270

Details

SU 67 NW 2/4

BASILDON LOWER BASILDON Church of St. Bartholomew

14.4.67

G.V. I

Church. Late C13 with tower of 1734, restored with addition of porch and north aisle in 1875-6. Flint with Bath stone dressings, and chancel cill string. Old tile roofs, higher over chancel with coped parapeted gabled ends, including carved kneelers to east. Grey brick west tower with red dressings and chainage, arched gauged window heads with stone keystones and impost blocks, moulded plinth, plat bands, and stone coped battlemented parapet with corner obelisks and weathervanes. Nave, chancel, south porch, north aisle, and west tower.

Tower: three stages. Louvred bell stage openings on all faces, with clock below to south; two second stage windows, blocked to west and partially blocked to south; first stage window to west, and arched south doorway with rusticated brick surround and boarded door.

Nave, south side: three two-light windows with cusped Y-tracery and returned hoodmoulds. South doorway between first and second windows from left, shafted with carved capitals, moulded arch and boarded door. C19 gabled porch. Moulded arch with shafts, carved capitals, and hoodmould with carved stops, inside and out. Cusped one-light openings on east and west faces. Blocked arch inside to east. North side: two-light window to right with cusped Y-tracery and returned hoodmould; C19 lean-to north aisle to left with two-ogee light window.

Chancel, south side: two two-light windows with geometrical tracery and hoodmoulds with carved stops; arched doorway between, off-centre to left with cill string raised over as hoodmould, and boarded door. C14 canopied chest tomb in wall, moved from interior, with bland arched arcading along base, large cusped arch, pinnacles, and much ballflower ornament; now monument to Sir Francis Sykes, 1804. North side: two two-light windows with geometrical tracery and hoodmoulds with carved stops.

East end: large three-light window with geometrical tracery and hoodmould with carved stops.

Interior: C19 moulded tower arch with hoodmould and carved stops; C19 three bay north aisle arcade with round piers, moulded capitals and bases, and chamfered arches; C19 nave roof of 6 bays with tie beams, double purlins, and arch braced collars with struts to second purlins. C19 moulded and shafted chancel arch, chancel cill string, and C19 chancel roof of three bays as nave. C15 octagonal stone font with quatrefoil panelled sides.

Monuments include: brass to John Clerk and wife, 1497; tablet to Sir Francis Sykes, 1804, by Flaxman, with mourning window by urn and portrait medallion; tablet to Sir Francis W. Sykes, 1843, Gothic by R. Brown. Jethro Tull (1674-1740), the agricultural innovator, was christened and buried in this church.

Listing NGR: SU6116579266

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
394744
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1923), 76
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1966)
'Murrays Architectural Guide' in Berkshire, (1949), 115
Websites
British Geological Survey, Strategic Stone Study, accessed 5 February 2020 from https://www.bgs.ac.uk/mineralsuk/buildingStones/StrategicStoneStudy/EH_atlases.html

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Sep 2002
Reference: IOE01/07324/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Richard Swynford-Lain. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].