COMMEMORATIVE STONE AT CHADWELL SPRING, THE MEADS AT TL 3497 1368

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1221266
Date first listed:
13-Sep-1995
Statutory Address:
COMMEMORATIVE STONE AT CHADWELL SPRING, THE MEADS AT TL 3497 1368, NEW RIVER

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1221266.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Jul-2021 at 10:58:38.

Location

Statutory Address:
COMMEMORATIVE STONE AT CHADWELL SPRING, THE MEADS AT TL 3497 1368, NEW RIVER

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
East Hertfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Ware
National Grid Reference:
TL 34979 13681

Details

WARE TOWN

TL3413NE NEW RIVER 829-1/11/199 (South side) Commemorative Stone at Chadwell Spring, The Meads at TL 3497 1368

II

Commemorative stone set in the ground at the head of the pool filled by the Chadwell Spring. 1728. Portland stone, with recessed inscribed panels, topped by a truncated obelisk. The principal inscriptions read `Chadwell Spring' `Opened 1608; Repair'd 1728', `conveyed 40 miles', and the upper inscription records, `This belongs to the said company 270 feet', with other distances in the remaining faces. There is also a small boundary stone of the type located along the Lea Cut (qv). The Chadwell Spring consists of a circular pool, 45m diameter, out of which a narrow channel runs north-east to join the main course of the New River. HISTORICAL NOTE: in 1738 the Chadwell Spring was supplemented by water drawn from the River Lea, a connecting cut was formed, and gauges were built to regulate the flow. The New River, constructed between 1608 and 1613 was a major civil engineering undertaking, and consisted of an open conduit, 15-20 feet wide, but of no great depth, designed to augment supply of water to London, by drawing from the Chadwell Spring between Hertford and Ware, and the Great Amwell Spring 2 km. further south-east. Hugh Myddelton, MP for Denbigh, began the work at his own expense, and enlisted the personal support of King James I to complete the 40 mile (64 km) watercourse, which led to the New River Head at Clerkenwell. The New River Company, a pioneer in venture capitalism, was formed in 1619, and continued in operation until 1904, when it was taken over by the Metropolitan Water Board, which became the Thames Water Authority in 1974. Approx 2 km of the course of the New River, and 1 km of the later connection with the Lea Navigation over the boundary in Hertford, runs through the Ware Town area. The realignment of the Ware Town boundary to extend eastwards to the A10 viaduct across The Meads brought Chadwell Spring within its area. (The Industrial Archaeology of the British Isles: Branch Johnson W: The Industrial Archaeology of Hertfordshire: Newton Abbot: 1970-: 97-101; Heath C: The Book of Ware. A Portrait of the Town: Chesham: 1977-: 56, 66, 69, 71, 104; Hunt EM: The History of Ware: Hertford: 1986-1946: 21, 37-8, 153-4; Thames Water Authority: History of the New River: London; The Victoria History of the County of Hertford: London: 1912-: 380-1; East Herts Archaeological Society Transactions: Andrews WF: Chadwell Spring: Hertford: 1901-: 7-14).

Listing NGR: TL3497913681

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
412226
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
History of the New River, (1985)
Branch Johnson, W, The Industrial Archaeology of Hertfordshire, (1970), 97-101
Doubleday, A, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1912), 380-1
Heath, C, The Book of Ware A Portrait of the Town, (1977), 66
Heath, C, The Book of Ware A Portrait of the Town, (1977), 71
Heath, C, The Book of Ware A Portrait of the Town, (1977)
Heath, C, The Book of Ware A Portrait of the Town, (1977), 56
Hunt, E M, The History of Ware 1986-1946, (1986), 37-8
Hunt, E M, The History of Ware 1986-1946, (1986), 153-4
Hunt, E M, The History of Ware 1986-1946, (1986), 21
'Transactions of the East Hertfordshire Archaeological Society' in Transactions of the East Hertfordshire Archaeological Society, (1901), 7-14

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Jun 2002
Reference: IOE01/07451/33
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr A. Gude. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].