GREAT WIGSELL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1221404
Date first listed:
03-Aug-1961
Statutory Address:
GREAT WIGSELL, JUNCTION ROAD, BODIAM

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1221404.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 05-Mar-2021 at 16:34:15.

Location

Statutory Address:
GREAT WIGSELL, JUNCTION ROAD, BODIAM

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
East Sussex
District:
Rother (District Authority)
Parish:
Salehurst and Robertsbridge
National Grid Reference:
TQ7607227352

Details

TQ 72 NE SALEHURST JUNCTION ROAD, Bodiam 6/3 Great Wigsell 3.8.61 II*

Large irregular-shaped house mainly early C17, restored by Sir Ernest George in 1905 after it had been unoccupied for some years. The original portion, built by Henry English, is L-shaped with the staircase in the angle and has the date 1641 on a doorway. It is very similar in character to Batemans, Burwash, which is dated 1631. Ashlar. Tiled roof. The main front faces North West. 2 storeys and attic. 5 windows. 3 gables with attic windows and finials over. In the centre is a porch with 2 storeys and gable over. The porch has a flat archway and enriched cornice with cartouche above. Casement windows of 2 lights with stone mullions and transoms. Chimney breasts at each end of the front and behind with red brick stacks. The south east wing has one gable and a gable end facing south east. Parallel to this wing is an C18 wing of ashlar with red brick dressings and sash windows with glazing bars intact and doorway with rectangular fanlight. This has 2 storeys and attic, 3 windows and 2 dormers. At the south west end it was prolonged by Sir Ernest George when the house was restored in 1905. Goad early C17 staircase and panelling. The house was the home of Viscount Milner at the end of his life.

Listing NGR: TQ7607227352

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
413201
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/07754/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Clive Read. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].