PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1221856
Date first listed:
31-Oct-1966
Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, ICKWELL ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1221856.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Aug-2020 at 04:05:30.

Location

Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, ICKWELL ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Central Bedfordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Northill
National Grid Reference:
TL 14900 46551

Details

TL 1446 NORTHILL ICKWELL ROAD (West Side)

8/82 Parish Church of St Mary 31,l0.66 the Virgin

GV I

Parish church, serving as a collegiate church 1404-1547. Mainly C14, with some C15 details and some late C19 reworking including most window tracery. Ironstone, dressings mostly in Totternhoe clunch. Slate roofs. Chancel, N vestry and organ chamber, nave, N and S aisles, S porch, W tower. Chancel: plain parapet. 5-light E window of 1880. 3 3-light S windows, E one retaining some original tracery. Priest's door below central window. NW opening onto organ retains original window jambs. Door to R of this gives onto organ chamber and vestry, added 1862 by H. Woodyer. Fenestration of this addition includes a rose window. Plain parapets. Chancel arch rebuilt 1862. Nave: 4 bay pointed arched arcades to N and S, on 4 shafted piers. All of ironstone except all responds and capitals of western piers of both arcades. N aisle: 4 bays, divided by buttresses. E window, now without tracery, opens onto organ chamber. C15 windows to first and second bays, C14 door to third bay, C14 window to fourth bay. C14 W window. S aisle: similar fenestration to N aisle. Pointed arched S doorway. Embattled parapets to aisles. S porch: much restored C19. 2 storeyed, the vaulting and parvis added C15. Vaulting is in 2 bays, with 3 carved bosses, one showing the arms of Sir John Trailly. Stairs to W. Parvis, originally a chapel to St Anne, has 4-light opening onto S aisle and 2-light S window. Embattled parapet. W tower: 3 stages, top stage C15. 4-stage angle buttresses. Stair turret to NE corner. S elevation has C19 doorway. W elevation has 3-light window, surmounted by narrow single light. Top stage has 2-light pointed arch window to N and S elevations, and paired 2-light windows under square head to W and E elevations. Embattled parapet. Interior: mid-late C19 font. C19 rood screen includes some C15 work, as do the choir stalls, and the parvis stair door. Chancel roof is C19, but nave roof, in 4 bays with strutted crown posts and plain aisle roofs, may date back to C14. N aisle has wall monument to John Harvey, d.1793, by T King of Bath, showing oval with inscription beside draped urn. S aisle has 3 large panels of stained glass of 1664 by John Oliver. Commissioned by the Company of Grocers to commemorate some restoration work and the re-endowment of the living in the will of Lady Margaret Slaney, d.1619. Originally formed E window, depicting Royal arms of Charles II in the central light, flanked by the arms of the Grocers' Company and of Margaret Slaney. Removed to S aisle in 1880. 2 windows by C E Kempe, one to N aisle (1897) one to chancel (1906). W windows of aisles and tower by Clayton and Bell.

Listing NGR: TL1490046551

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
413773
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Nov 2003
Reference: IOE01/11514/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Black. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].