CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1221919
Date first listed:
14-Apr-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, THE VILLAGE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1221919 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Sep-2019 at 17:00:54.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, THE VILLAGE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cheshire East (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Prestbury
National Grid Reference:
SJ 90064 76931

Details

SJ 97 NW PRESTBURY C.P. THE VILLAGE (East Side)

6/218 Church of St.Peter

14/4/1967

GV I

Church: early-mid C13, south aisle early C14, tower and porch c.1480. C17 alterations and restoration 1879-85 by Sir G G and J O Scott. Ashlar buff and pink sandstone. Kerridge stone-slate roof. 6-bay nave and aisles, 3-bay chancel, west tower and south porch. South porch has diagonal buttresses and crocketted pinnacles on the gable. South aisle has a 2-light window with Y-tracery and C17 3-light stone mullion windows. Clerestorey has 2-light windows with trefoil cusped heads. North aisle of the restoration. Sanctus bellcote on the ridge 5-light east window of the chancel has tiers of lights with cusped heads. 4-stage tower has clasping square buttresses. West door has label mould on carved heads. 3-light west window breaks a bond of interlacing. Clock in 3rd stage and 2-light louvred bell openings above. Another band of interlacing below embattled parapet with crocketted pinnacles. Interior: Arcade of 6 bays to north aisle of alternate circular and octagonal pillars, to south aisle are quatrefoil pillars, one with a stiff-leaf capital. Paintings of 1719 in the spandrels represent the apostles and tribes of Israel. Nave roof truss have arch braced tiebeams with 4 diagonal struts and a collar with 2 diagonal struts. Aisles have post-restoration Victorian glass and Legh Chantry Chapel an oak classical screen dated 1744 and memorial to Charles Legh of an urn in front of an obelisk by Joseph Turner dated 1781. Chancel arch on engaged half octagonal columns and contains a fine neo-classical screen of 1787. Chancel has reset tympanum of C12 date with interlaced trellis decoration. Jacobean pulpit with arcaded panels dated 1607. C14 font with a plain circular bowl and carved head bosses on a quatrefoil pillar (very similar to example at Nether Alderley) with Jacobean font cover. Jacobean tower screen with open pierced arcade and later turned baluster rail above. (Pevsner and Hubbard). H.W.Rogers, Prestbury and its Ancient Church, Macclesfield.

Listing NGR: SJ9006276933

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
413837
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Hubbard, E, The Buildings of England: Cheshire, (1971)
Rogers, H W, Prestbury and its Ancient Church

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Apr 2004
Reference: IOE01/11987/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Bruce Beattie. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].