Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of SHANKS HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1222369 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Oct-2019 at 14:38:16.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

South Somerset (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 75332 26667



5/20 Shanks House



Country House. Medieval fragments, major C17 and C18 works including refitting by Nathaniel Ireson. Cary stone rubble with ashlar dressings, some faces rendered; stone slate hipped roofs; mostly brick chimney stacks. Hybrid plan; main narrow long range runs North/South, with C17/C18 portion astride and to East. 2 storeys with attics, some cellars. North elevation of later block of 6 bays, of which bays 1 and 6 project slightly, with 2-storey porch to bay 4 of greater projection. Plinth, formerly rendered above; 12-pane sash windows in plain openings, of which lower bay 5 and all upper windows have thick glazing bars; porch has 10-panel plain double doors flanked by rusticated pilasters with flat keystoned head and flat timber hood on carved console brackets; above semi-circular arched window with architrave, impost blocks and keystone, set under segmental pediment crowned by small chimney stack; bay 6 fragment of a reserve chamfer mullioned window at low level, then a single-storey range extending Northwards, with cellars under, which has a small blocked 4-centre arched doorway on East face; this probably last remains of medieval farmhouse. East elevation possibly by Ireson; 5 bays, ashlar faced. Plinth, small dentilled cornice; 12-pane sashes in architraved surrounds with keystones; to lower bay 3 shouldered architrave with triple keystone to french doors, under pediment carried on console brackets; 3 pitched roof dormers. Little on South elevation except semi-circular arched window to stairwell, with impost blocks and keystone to surround. West facade mostly C17, with 7 bays, 3-storey where later block intrudes; reserve chamfer mullioned windows, 3-light to ground floor and 2-lights to first, the latter apparently have lowered cills; buttressed cambered arched doorway bay 1 and stone slated porch with 3-centre arch to bay 6; lead rainwater stackhead endorsed "WCM 1759"; to ridge of roof over bay-7 a C18 timber lead-covered bell turret with windvane; North West wing of 5 bays with casements and door bay 1, large segnental arched doorways bays 2 and 3, then two 16-pane sashes, between which is a mounting block, then a low C18 door to cellars. Interior has much of interest, notably in the C17/C18 block, with Ireson's work much in evidence. Porch has flag floor, panelled walls with recesses, ceiling cornice. Centre room has panelled dado, heavy cornice, in South wall ornate semi-circular fanlight over double panelled doors retaiining much C18 glass. North East room has C18 panelling with fluted composite pilasters which may adapt C17 work, an elliptical arch in East wall, and an 8-panel C17 door in South wall, higher ceiling. North West corner room has fielded panelling and ornate plaster ceiling with circular panel marked by flowers and swags, shutters to window, fine fireplace with egg and dart mould surround, panel featuring cherubs engaged in astronomy, flanked by timber Corinthian pilasters carrying extended pediment. South West room less elaborate, with simple cornice, good doorcases and fireplace, with added 1820 bay window in South wall. Staircase fine C18 work with turned balusters, Corinthian columns to corners, deep moulded dado, elaborate end detail over strings; stairwell has ornate plasterwork with frieze at upper floor level, applied swags to upper walls and ornate plaster ceiling with octagonal panel. Panelled room over porch with timber dentilled cornice. South East corner bedroom panelled with wood cornice; fine panelling, cornice and fireplace in North East corner bedroom. In North East corner bedroom, C17 wings traces of moulded cambered arch fireplace. Several C17 doors in attics. Cucklington had a manor and a market in 1304; this could be on the site of that manor which stood "at the foot of the hill". Referred to in will of 1622 as "my house called Shanks'. From 1622 to 1729 home of Watts family then passing into Dalton family, who must have commissioned the reshaping. (Sweetman G, History of Wincanton, c1903).

Listing NGR: ST7533226667


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Sweetman, G, History of Wincanton, (1903)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].