This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1222905



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Huntingdonshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Leighton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 28-Jan-1958

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 54787

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


TL 1075 22/68

LEIGHTON BROMSWOLD, CHURCH LANE (North-east Side), Parish church of St Mary



Parish church. Former C13 chancel and aisled nave rebuilt and enlarged in C14 and north and south transepts added. Restoration in 1626 by George Herbert included the rebuilding of the nave to a greater width, demolishing the aisles but retaining the north and south doorways in the porches. West tower built in 1634 by the Duke of Lennox. Further restoration in 1870. Walls of coursed Weldon rubble with some field stones, ashlar facing to tower and dressings of Ketton, Weldon and Barnack limestone. Tiled roofs. South elevation: West tower of three stages with modillioned cornice and embattled parapet between the buttresses rising to pinnacles with ball finials. Paired, round arched belfry lights with plain pilasters (similar in detail but larger than the west ground stage windows and the west doorway, with key block and plain tablet above; the second stage window is square headed); nave and transept with plain moulded parapet; reset C15 window of three cinquefoiled lights with vertical tracery in a four-centred head; south porch mid C13 outer doorway with two-centred arch of three moulded orders with a moulded label'and dog-tooth ornament, the jambs have four shafts with moulded capitals and bases; south transept with angle buttresses mainly C14, and three cinquefoiled-light C15 window with vertical tracery in a four-centred head; chancel two eastern windows early C14 each with three-pointed lights and intersecting tracery in a two-centred head, the western window is C15 with three-cinquefoiled lights with vertical tracery in a four-centred head, below the window is a blocked C14 doorway and a blocked 'low-side' window, C16 doorway with chamfered jambs and four-centred head. C17 rainwater heads on south wall of nave and transept, and two on south wall of chancel (similar except in detail to north walls), one head elaborately shaped with enriched cornice and dated 1632, with strapwork and ornament on the flanges, and down pipe with enriched straps, and with acanthus ornament at the junction. Interior: Tower arch, two-centred with classically moulded orders springing from square responds'with moulded imposts. Chancel arch, C13, two-centred of two chamfered orders, the inner order springing from triple attached shafts with moulded caps, and modern corbels. Double piscenae in chancel C13 reset with intersecting arcade, shafted jambs with moulded capitals and bases, recessed shelves and two multifoiled drains. Bracket in chancel C13, and in south transept with ball-flower ornaments; locker in north wall of chancel C13, with trefoiled head, and in south transept C14, with chamfered reveals. Font, formed from two C13 capitals with cover. Noteworthy fittings include the screen, pulpits, seating and stalls c.1630-40 of oak with similar designs. Roofs; in chancel restored with five C17 trusses with moulded tie beams, moulded and panelled braces and moulded wall-posts with shaped and moulded pendants; in nave six bays similar to chancel with some repair; transept roofs also similar each of three bays. For indents, monuments and floor slabs see RCHM. C17 floor tiles in north transept. The church is noted for its C17 fittings, rainwater heads and monuments; the C17 tower is an unusual Renaissance feature.

RCHM Huntingdonshire p178 VCH Huntingdonshire p90 Pevsner Buildings of England p282 Woodger, A Huntingdons ire Church Towers Archeol J 141 1984

Listing NGR: TL1157175273

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Huntingdonshire, (1926), 178
Page, W, Proby, G , The Victoria History of the County of Huntingdon, (1936), 90
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Bedfordshire, Huntingdon and Peterborough, (1968), 282
'Archaeological Journal' in Archaeological Journal, , Vol. 141, (1984)

National Grid Reference: TL 11571 75273


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1222905 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2017 at 11:47:48.

End of official listing