This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1223018



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: East Sussex

District: Lewes

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Wivelsfield

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 17-Mar-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 418541

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


WIVELSFIELD JANE'S LANE 1. 5206 Great Ote Hall TQ 32 SW 1/59 17.3.52. I

2. The old portion of this house is a T-shaped building, of which the southern arm forms a very small projection, so that the plan of the house seems more like an L, to which a modillion south wing has been added. The original portion is the west wing which is a timber-framed building, restored, of about 1550 with plaster infilling and close-studding. The east wing was added by Thomas Godman in 1600 and has this date on it. This is also timber-framed, restored. Horsham slab roof. Casement windows. Three windows. The north front forms an L and has chimney breast on the west walls of both the west and north wings, the lower portion in each case being of ashlar, above of red brick. The north wing has a gable oversailing on brackets with a carved pendant and below the gable a 2 storey bay. The west wing has a similar dormer and a modern 2 storey gabled porch. Four windows. The east front has 3 windows. The outer window bays have slightly projecting bays of 2 storeys with gabled dormers over. The centre window bay is similar but projects much more and has an oriel window on the first floor with a pediment over containing the initials G. T. M [Godman, Thomas and Mary] and the date 1600 on the tympanum. Brick chimney breast on the south wall. The house contains a staircase of 1600 circa and contemporary panelling and stone fireplaces. Modern L-wing in matching style to the south-west. The house was occupied in the early C18 by General Sir William Shirley who was Governor of Massachusetts, New England, and of the Bahama Islands, and from 1761 onwards by Selina Countess of Huntingdon who fitted up a room in the house as a Chapel and whose Chaplain, the Rev W Romaine, constantly preached there. Articles in the Sussex Archaeological Collections Volume 19, p 61 and Volume 34, p 255.

Listing NGR: TQ3312120282

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Sussex Archaeological Collection' in Sussex Archaeological Collection, (), 61
'Sussex Archaeological Collection' in Sussex Archaeological Collection, (), 255

National Grid Reference: TQ 33121 20282


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1223018 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Sep-2017 at 05:42:54.

End of official listing