CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1223215
Date first listed:
03-Feb-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, PINCHBECK LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1223215.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Feb-2020 at 00:27:28.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, PINCHBECK LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
East Lindsey (District Authority)
Parish:
Croft
National Grid Reference:
TF 50925 61847

Details

CROFT PINCHBECK LANE TF 56 SW (north side) 5/31 Church of All Saints 3.2.67

G.V. I

Parish church. C14, C15. Greenstone rubble, limestone ashlar, some red brick patching. Lead roofs with parapets and embattled clerestory. West tower, nave with north and south arcades and south porch; chancel. Late C14 west tower with moulded plinth and string courses, and 4 stage angle buttresses, the south-west buttress with plaque inscribed with the names of the vicar and 2 church wardens, and the date 1656. Slit stair lights in south side to the right of the south-west buttress. Pointed west doorway with continuous richly moulded surround, hood mould and double plank doors. Pointed window above with 2 ogee headed lights flanking a single semi-circular headed light; plain panel tracery and hood mould. Small pointed window above with 2 semi- circular headed, cusped lights, panel tracery and hood mould. Bell openings on all 4 sides, each with a pointed head. 3 pointed, cusped lights, panel tracery and hood moulds with head label stops. Moulded eaves with projecting corner gargoyles and battlements with ornate pinnacles. C14 north aisle remodelled in mid C15. Moulded plinth and regularly placed 2 stage buttresses. West end with a pointed window with 3 plain ogee headed lights, panel tracery, hood mould and single label stop head to left. North side with flattened triangular headed window to right with 3 ogee headed lights, panel tracery and hood mould. Pointed doorway to left with continuous moulded surround, C16 plank door, hood mould and label stop head to left. 3 windows to the left, similar to that to the right of the doorway. East end with a pointed window with 3 pointed lights, panel tracery and hood mould. Battlemented mid C15 clerestory above with 5 windows each with pointed head, 2 semi-circular headed lights, panel tracery and hood mould. C15 chancel with plinth and 2 pointed windows in north side, each with 3 pointed cusped lights, panel tracery and hood mould. East end defined by diagonal 2 stage buttresses. Pointed east window with 5 painted cusped lights, panel tracery, hood mould and head label stops. South side with some brick patching and a small, pointed priest's doorway with segmental head, continuous moulded surround, hood mould and traceried plank door. 2 pointed windows above, each with 3 pointed cusped lights, panel tracery and hood mould, C14 south aisle remodelled in the mid C15. East end with a pointed window, 3 ogee headed lights, plain panel tracery, hood mould and head label stops. South side with 3 flattened triangular headed windows, each with 3 ogee headed lights, panel tracery and hood moulds. Gabled C15 brick patched porch with pointed south doorway with moulded head, slender responds with moulded imposts and hood mould with head label stops. Interior flanking stone benches and C14 doorway with pointed head, richly moulded continuous surround, hood mould and head label stops. Panelled studded plank door with smaller doorway within with segmental head and inscription: 'God Save the King 1633'. Single window beyond porch with flattened tirnagular head, 3 ogee headed lights, panel tracery and hood mould. Pointed window in west end with 3 ogee headed lights, plain panel tracery, hood mould and head label stops. C15 clerestory identical to that on the north side. Tall mid C14 interior tower arch with pointed, double chamfered head and triple responds. South-west corner of tower with C14 ogee headed doorway with continuously moulded surround and plank door. Mid C14, 5 bay north and south arcades, with pointed, double chamfered heads, octagonal piers, polygonal responds and moulded capitals. C15 north and south aisle parclose screens, each side of which have 5 ogee headed ornate openwork, panel traceried, sections. South aisle with ogee headed, cusped piscina. C14 pointed chancel arch with double chamfered head and polygonal responds with moulded capitals. C15 screen with 5 openwork traceried sections with crocketed and finialled ogee heads and painted lower blind panels. Chancel with C14 cusped ogee headed piscina. C15 pews with hinged doors with simple early panel tracery. C19 choir stalls, reredos, communion rail. C15 brass eagle lectern of an East Anglian school with moulded, bulbous pedestal with 3 small lions at its foot. Pulpit of 1615 related to that at Burgh le Marsh, with steps leading up to hexagonal pulpit with ornate bands of fretwork and stylised dragons; book rest inscribed: 'William Worship Doctor in Divinite.' Paired, fluted angle columns with moulded panels and fretwork. Ornate sounding board and canopy, the latter with rich scroll work and pendentive finials. C15 octagonal font on a tall, panelled pedestal, the octagonal bowl supported by head and foliate motifs, and each side of the bowl with a shield set in a cusped arch. C16 altar table in south aisle. C19 roofs re-using C15 timbers and medieval stone corbels and C15 south aisle roof. Monuments include one of alabaster streaked with orange and pink and faded paint and gilding to Sir Valentine Browne, died 1600, and Elizabeth his wife; with 8 sons and 7 daughters kneeling below on a rectangular moulded plinth; the kneeling figures of Browne and his wife above, beneath a semi-circular arch with panelled soffit, flanking pilasters, bracketed key and cartouche above. Another alabaster monument, streaked pink and grey, to John Browne, died 1614, and Cicely, his wife; both figures kneel in prayer beneath a semi-circular arch with panelled soffit, flanking pilasters and cartouche over. Ashlar standing monument to William Bonde, died 1559, with high plinth with geometric patterning, flanking free standing columns, cartouche above with skull, coat of arms, rays of sunlight and a tiny bearded bust. Late C13 or early C14 brass in floor of south aisle, with head and shoulders of knight with hands in prayer. One of 4 or 5 of the earliest brasses in England.

Listing NGR: TF5092161858

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
418829
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 May 2001
Reference: IOE01/03663/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Scarbro. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].