CHURCH OF ST GILES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1223919
Date first listed:
01-Feb-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GILES, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST GILES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1223919.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Mar-2020 at 21:02:40.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GILES, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Nottinghamshire
District:
Bassetlaw (District Authority)
Parish:
Elkesley
National Grid Reference:
SK 68923 75514

Details

SK 67 NE ELKESLEY HIGH STREET (south side)

2/41 Church of St. Giles 1.2.67 G.V. I

Parish church. c.1300, C14, C15, C19, restored 1845. Coursed rubble, dressed coursed rubble and ashlar. Lead and pantile roofs, with coped gables to aisle and chancel and single ridge cross to east chancel. Tower, nave, north aisle, south porch and chancel. The C14 buttressed tower of 4 stages with bands at the junctures of the top 2 stages is set on a plinth and is embattled with single pinnacles at the angles. The north side has a lean- to projecting between the buttresses, having octagonal responds and moulded capitals supporting a double chamfered arch. There is a small arched stoup in the inner west wall. The inner pointed chamfered arched doorway with double wooden door. The south side has a C15 cavetto moulded Tudor arched doorway with heavily panelled wooden door. In the apex is the date 1612 flanked by single Tudor roses. There is a hood mould over with decorative label stops and blind carved spandrels. Above is a single arched window with 2 arched and cusped lights and a hood mould. The 4 arched bell chamber openings each have 2 arched and cusped lights. There is a single clock face under to the west, north and east sides. The north has a single rectangular stair light. The buttressed north aisle is set on a plinth and was rebuilt in 1845. The west wall has a blocked chamfered arch cut into by the west tower doorway. The north wall has 3 recut C15 windows each with 2 ogee arched and cusped lights under a flat arch with hood mould and label stops. The clerestory has 3 similar windows lacking hood moulds. The chancel is set on a plinth and has in the north wall a single c.1300 lancet with hood mould and to the left a single C15 2 light window with cusped panel tracery under a flat arch with a hood mould. The C14 arched east window has 3 lights,intersecting tracery, hood mould and label stops. The south chancel has a pair of arched and cusped lights with single hood mould over and label stops. To the left is the ashlar and tile diagonally buttressed C19 porch. Set on a chamfered plinth with coped gable having a chamfered arched doorway with hood mould and label stops in the east wall, the south wall has a single arched window with 2 arched and cusped lights, tracery, hood mould and label stops, and the west wall has a single arched and cusped light under a flat arch. The inner doorway is arched and chamfered with hood mould and label stops. To the left of the porch the south wall is set on a plinth, there is a single arched window with 2 arched lights and hood mould, a headstone to Francis Bradley 1784 and further left 3 large C14 arched windows each with 3 arched and cusped lights, hood mould and label stops. Interior. The 3 bay C14 north aisle arcade with octagonal columns and responds, moulded capitals and double chamfered arches is now blocked with a doorway with panelled door in the western most bay. There is a hood mould over the arches with 2 human head label stops. The inner chamfer of the double chamfered tower arch is supported on octagonal responds with moulded capitals. There is a C19 wooden gallery with blind arched and cusped panels. In the north nave wall at the junction of nave and chancel and set diagonally is a single niche with cusped arch, decorative hood mould, label stops and large decorative finial. Above is a further single arched and cusped niche with crocketed hood mould, finial and label stops. The south chancel has an arched and cusped piscina. There are 2 C17 chairs with carved backs and a large C17 chest with decoratively carved panels. The pulpit has open arched panels, there is a single elaborately carved C17 bench. The remaining furniture is C19. The nave roof has C15 bosses, the chancel roof is inscribed "D.N.I.R. 1836 R.W.H.V." In the south chancel is a monument to Catherine Sharpe, 1764, by Ant. Ince and in the north chancel a monument to Edward and John Buckles, Mansfield. This is rectangular with decoratively carved sides and an angel on the crown.

Listing NGR: SK6892375514

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
419835
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Sep 2002
Reference: IOE01/08458/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Harris. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].