CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1224403
Date first listed:
03-Feb-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1224403.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 21:52:08.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
East Lindsey (District Authority)
Parish:
Wainfleet St. Mary
National Grid Reference:
TF 47111 58672

Details

WAINFLEET ST. MARY CHURCH LANE TF 45 NE (north side) 6/94 Church of St. Mary 3.2.67

G.V. II*

Parish church. Late C12, early C13, early C15, C18, restored 1875-92. Limestone coursed rubble and ashlar dressings, some red brick, some render. Lead roofs with stone coped gables with kneelers and cross finials. West tower, nave with north and south aisles, south porch, chancel with north organ chamber. 3 stage late C12 west tower raised in C15, with moulded plinth, 6 stage angle buttresses with broad south pilaster with slit staircase light. Pointed west doorway of c.1200 with 2 chamfered orders with moulded imposts running into flanking string courses, and plank door. Single lancet above, and single lancets on north and south sides with string courses running below. Blind arcade above on west and north sides, each with 5 pointed arches with slender shafts with moulded capitals. South side with fragmentary arcade with 3 pointed ashlar heads and C18 brick patching. C15 bell stage above with bell openings on all 4 sides, each with a pointed head, continuous chamfered surround, 2 pointed, cusped lights, and simple panel tracery. Moulded eaves above and battlements with ornate pinnacles. North aisle partially rebuilt in C19 with regularly placed 2 stage buttresses. West end with C19 window with flattened, pointed head, 3 pointed cusped lights, hood mould with decorative motifs and head label stops. 4 bay north side with the second bay rendered. The other 3 each containing a single C15 window, restored in C19 to varying degrees, each with flattened pointed head, 3 pointed cusped lights, hood mould and head label stops. C15 clerestory with 3 pointed windows each with 2 cusped lights. Parapet above. C19 organ chamber to east, gabled to the north with single window with segmental head, 3 cusped, ogee headed lights, panel tracery, hood mould and head label stops. East coalhole doorway partially below ground level with segmental head and board door. C19 chancel with moulded plinth, eaves and 2 stage angle buttresses. Large east window with flattened pointed head, 4 ogee cusped lights, panel tracery, bowtell moulded surround, hood mould and head label stops. South side with decorative blocked doorway to east with segmental head and string course rising above. 2 stage buttress to left with window beyond with segmental head, 3 ogee headed cusped lights, panel tracery, hood mould and head label stops. South aisle with plinth and regularly placed 2 stage buttresses. East end with a restored C15 window with flattened pointed head, 3 cusped ogee headed lights, hood mould and head label stops. South side with 2 similar windows to the right, a gabled porch of 1874 to left, with a similar window beyond and another in the west end of the south aisle. Porch with pointed, double chamfered south doorway with semi-circular responds, moulded capitals, hood mould, head label stops and wood and wire doors. Date '1874' inscribed above. Interior C15 doorway with broad pointed, cavetto moulded head, each of the 10 voussoirs with a large bust, partially recut in C19; roll moulded jambs, hood mould, head label stops and bust at apex as niche pedestal. Pointed, double chamfered late C12 tower arch with scalloped and moulded corbelled capitals. Early C13 north and south arcades; the latter of 4 bays with round piers, semi-circular responds and bands of chipstar on the capitals; the former of 5 bays, the western-most bay being larger and with a round pier hollowed to receive 4 detached shafts with continuous moulded capitals; the remainder of the piers and responds being similar to those of the south arcade, and all the bays with pointed, double chamfered heads, hood moulds and foliate and head label stops, restored in C19. North and south nave doorways with C19 hood moulds and head label stops. South aisle with piscina with cinquefoil head. C19 pointed chancel arch with continuous double chamfers and early C20 screen. C19 north organ arch in chancel with flattened triangular, double chamfered head. Single blind openings with triangular heads in north and south walls, to east. C19 roofs, pulpit, pews, lectern, altar, reredos and choir stalls. C18 hatchment above tower arch, the latter flanked by Commandment boards. C15 octagonal font on C19 pedestal, bowl with cusped panels containing shields with emblems of the Passion. C18 communion rail with twisted balusters. Black and white marble monument with broken pediment, triglyph entablature, flanking fluted pilasters, cross, palms and coat of arms; to Edward Barkham, died 1724.

Listing NGR: TF4711158672

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
420461
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Aug 2007
Reference: IOE01/16772/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter D. Dewar. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].