CHURCH OF ST ANTHONY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1224955
Date first listed:
25-Mar-1970
Date of most recent amendment:
23-Jul-1987
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANTHONY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANTHONY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1224955 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2019 at 14:10:31.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANTHONY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
South Lakeland (District Authority)
Parish:
Cartmel Fell
National Park:
LAKE DISTRICT
National Grid Reference:
SD 41652 88063

Details

CARTMEL FELL SD 48 NW 8/15 Church of St Anthony 25.3.70 (formerly listed as chapel of St Anthony)

I

Church. c.1504, porch late C16, vestry probably C18. Roughcast stone with ashlar dressings and slate roof. Single-vessel nave and chancel with small projections under catslide roofs to east end, west tower with north-west vestry under lean-to roof, south gabled porch. 3-bay nave has stone bench to south facade. Straight-headed windows of 3 arched lights with hollow-chamfered mullions, label moulds and leaded glazing. Single chamfered-mullioned window of 2 arched lights inserted over priest's door in 1698. Porch has Tudor-arched hollow-chamfered opening and inner door with strap hinges. Chancel has 5-light east window with 2 small square windows, one above the other, to right; south 3-light window replaced in 1911, originally wooden mullioned frame; north projection has east and west entrances. Vestry has stack and west window. Saddleback tower has blocked west entrance with inserted window, small slot to each face, and plain stone-louvred bell openings. Interior: tie beam and strut trusses. Arch to baptistry under tower, plain round font of 1712, old benches and chest. Nave has organ in north-west corner. Cowmire pew to north-east probably constructed from former reredos and chancel screen in 1571 and heavily restored in 1911; low panelling, one-light divisions with tracery heads and coved cornice with Tudor flowers and cresting, missing to east side; door has swan-neck hinges; panelling to north has some paint remaining, including halo; small traceried canopy above is ex situ; table and incised game to bench relate to pew's use as school. Smaller pew to east has bolection-moulded panels, foliage panels and lettering: "WH 1696", door has H-hinges. Burblethwaite pew to south-east originally C17 but largely reconstructed in 1810, turned posts, pierced frieze and cornice with canopy; to east a tile panel of St Anthony. 3-decker pulpit to west of Burblethwaite pew dated 1698, fielded panelling, canted pulpit with tester, royal arms of 1781 opposite. Chancel has 3-sided C18 communion rail with front projection and column balusters; flanking painted Lord's Prayer and creed boards, and Commandment board to north with ogee head and cherubs and dove, 1793. Small recess to south of altar. East window has substantial remains of stained glass, thought originally to be from Cartmel Priory, but likely to be made for church, crucifixion, 7 sacraments and SS Anthony and Leonard. Window rearranged in 1911, some fragments, including crucifixion and Christ appearing after resurrection, placed in north-east nave window.

Listing NGR: SD4165088063

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
421164
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Jul 2007
Reference: IOE01/15845/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Peters. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].