CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1225457
Date first listed:
07-Dec-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1225457.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 01:49:27.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
Cherwell (District Authority)
Parish:
Lower Heyford
National Grid Reference:
SP 48511 24872

Details

LOWER HEYFORD CHURCH LANE SP4824 (North side) 10/45 Church of St. Mary 07/12/66 GV II*

Church. C13, C14 and C15, restored 1848 by H.J. Underwood, and 1867 by C. Buckeridge. Partly-coursed limestone and marl stone rubble with limestone-ashlar dressings; lead and Stonesfield-slate roofs. Chancel, nave, north and south aisles, west tower and south porch. Stone-slate-roofed chancel, in marlstone with some limestone banding, retains a single C13 lancet to north, but the 3-light east window and the other side windows, all of lights, are C14 with flowing and reticulated tracery; restored priest's door to south. The nave and aisles are of limestone with shallow-pitched roofs: the south aisle with Decorated windows of 3 and 2 lights to east and west, plus a large square-headed 3-light C15 window to south; the north aisle with a similar C15 window to north, plus a 3-light window with intersecting tracery to east, and a small square-headed C15 window to west. North and south doors are both C14, the latter sheltered by a C15 porch with a moulded outer arch and tiny 2-light side windows. The C15 nave clerestory has square-headed 2-light windows below an ashlar parapet. The plain-parapetted C15 tower, in squared limestone with ashlar diagonal buttresses and moulded plinth, has an arched west doorway within a rectangular casement moulding, and has a 3-light west window with Perpendicular tracery; arched 2-light bell-chamber openings above a moulded string; stair projection at the south-east corner. Interior: Chancel has a C13 trefoil-headed piscina with a restored projecting bowl, and has a C19 braced collar-truss roof. C13/C14 chancel arch of 2 chamfered orders dying into responds; tall continuously-moulded C14 tower arch of 2 chamfered orders. 2-bay C14 nave arcades of 2 chamfered orders on octagonal columns, the south arcade probably later with richer mouldings to the capitals. Both arcades have image niches in the eastern responds, and both have masonry sections to east and west, the south arcade with traces of an earlier arcade to west, and to east a C15 rood stair projecting into the south aisle with a further niche. South aisle has similar niches with traceried heads flanking east window, a small restored C14 piscina, and an ogee-headed holy-water stoup. North aisle has a C14 column piscina with a stone shelf. C19 nave roof has traceried infill and curved braces to the shallow trusses; C19 aisle roofs have, moulded principal members. Fittings include a restored C15 screen with traceried panels, and a medieval chest. C19 corona lucis above the octagonal C14 font. Fragments of medieval stained glass in south aisle west window; glass of 1916 in south aisle east window; C19 glass in chancel. Monument to Gabriel and Alice Myrry (died 1684 and 1681) has a rectangular panel flanked by inverted cornucopiae, below a cartouche of arms. (VCH: Oxfordshire, Vol VI, p183; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, pp692-3)

Listing NGR: SP4851124872

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
421841
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 692-3
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1962), 183

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Jul 2004
Reference: IOE01/10999/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derek Cotterill. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].