CHRIST CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1225622
Date first listed:
29-Sep-1978
Date of most recent amendment:
23-Nov-2010
Statutory Address:
CHRIST CHURCH, WOODHOUSE HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHRIST CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1225622.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Mar-2020 at 21:34:58.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHRIST CHURCH, WOODHOUSE HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Kirklees (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 15338 19029

Details



919/17/1398 WOODHOUSE HILL 29-SEP-78 WOODHOUSE HILL (South side) CHRIST CHURCH

II Parish church of 1823-24 by T. Taylor.

MATERIALS: Ashlar local sandstone, graded-slate roofs.

PLAN: Cruciform plan with west tower, south porch and north-east vestry.

EXTERIOR: In the simple Gothic style of the early C19. The church is long and low, with shallow buttresses, and roofs with cylindrical ridge ventilators under conical caps. The 3-stage west tower has angle buttresses, and a Lombard frieze below a broach spire with lucarnes. A pointed west window is under a statue in a niche, above which is a round clock in the second stage and pointed belfry openings with broad chamfers, and louvres. The 3-bay nave has lancet windows and transepts have triple lancets. The south porch is unbuttressed and has an entrance with 2-centred arch. The east window is 5 stepped lancets under a single arch. A south vestry is attached to the south transept, with trefoil-headed south doorway. The north-east vestry is later, under a flat roof, and has a tall stack rising from the chancel eaves.

INTERIOR: The nave and transepts have polygonal panelled plastered ceilings on arched braces that stand on slender wall shafts. The chancel has a similar roof, but has paired arched braces and a boarded ceiling with rosettes in each panel. There is no chancel arch. Walls are plastered. Where visible the chancel has a parquet floor, with raised floorboards below stalls and benches.

PRINCIPAL FIXTURES: The font, probably of 1824, has a small octagonal bowl with relief panels, on a tapering stem. Other furnishings are mainly early C20 and form an impressive scheme. The chancel screen, dated 1915, has openwork dado and main lights with delicate tracery, under coving with further tracery, and fleuron frieze. Nave benches have ends with linenfold panelling. The polygonal pulpit has rich free-Gothic openwork tracery, which is similar to the communion rails. Choir stalls have square-headed ends with blind tracery, and open-tracery fronts. Stained glass windows of the early C20 are mainly by Powell & Co. Memorials include a distinctive Gothick tablet to long-time organist Thomas Searkey (d.1870), encrusted with organ pipes.

HISTORY: Parish church built in 1823-24 by Thomas Taylor (1778-1826), architect of Leeds who had worked under James Wyatt but by the 1820s was in private practice with many commissions for new churches. The south vestry was added c1901, and soon afterwards the chancel was refurnished. The north vestry is also C20.

SOURCES: Pevsner, N., The Buildings of England: Yorkshire, West Riding (1967), 271-72.

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION: Christchurch, Woodhouse Hill, Huddersfield, is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Christchurch is one of several Gothic churches built by Thomas Taylor in the 1820s and the building is largely unaltered, retaining architectural character typical of the period. * Christchurch is also one of several early C19 churches that document the growth of industrial Huddersfield and the need to provide for its increasing population. * The church retains early-C20 fixtures of consistent quality.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
422060
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Mar 2005
Reference: IOE01/14116/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Nigel Wood. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].