This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1225654



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Northamptonshire

District: East Northamptonshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: King's Cliffe

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 23-May-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 12-Oct-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 422100

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


KINGS CLIFFE HALL YARD TL0097 (East side) 12/109 Hall Farmhouse 23/05/67 (Formerly listed as Hall Yard Farmhouse) GV II* Farmhouse, now house. Late medieval, datestone 1603, late C18 and early and late C19. Squared coursed limestone with ashlar dressings and limestone ashlar and Collyweston slate roof. Originally medieval hall house now courtyard plan with barn, stables, flat and outbuildings attached to south of Hall Farmhouse (q.v.). 2 storeys. Entrance front, to Hall Yard, is an irregular 4-window range. Two tall 6-panel unhorned sash windows to left have ashlar surrounds and stone lintels with keyblocks. These windows serve the music room. Two 8-paned, unhorned, sash windows to first floor left have similar surrounds, set under eaves. Similar ground floor window to far left has a gauged stone head. 6-panelled door, to left of centre, has moulded stone surround and 4-centred arch-head with date above door "Anno 1603". Ashlar gable parapets and ashlar ridge and end stacks. Elevation to left of entrance front has central 6-panelled door with plain stone surround. Flanking sash and casement windows under wood lintels. Leaded cross window, to first floor left, gable to right. Garden front t,o rear, is ashlar with a 2-window range of 8-paned sash windows, at first floor, with moulded stone surrounds and keyblocks. 2 late C19 canted stone bay windows at ground floor. Bay attached to left is C17 with a 4-light stone mullion window to ground and first floor. Courtyard elevation, to rear of entrance front, has 3 tall window openings now blocked. Elevation to right has central 4-panelled door. Leaded cross window to right and 2 sash windows, one is a stair window. Courtyard elevation, to rear of garden front, has a 2-light stone mullion window, central projection with a leaded casement and lean-to projection attached to left. Single-storey ashlar quadrant, with circular window, to left, at intersection of ranges. Interior: dining room to left of entrance occupies part of medieval hall. Mid C17 fireplace with eared architrave, scroll decoration at sides, plain central panel and moulded frieze and cornice. Horizontal wainscote dado. Early C19 doorcase with reeded pilasters, to right of fireplace, leads to staircase hall. Early C19 staircase with stick balustrades. C19 panelling, incorporates fragments of C18 fielded panelling. Music room, at mezzanine level to right of entrance, was formed late C18. Deeply coved ceiling decorated with plaster swags and intersecting circles, with a guilloche border. Moulded wood fireplace surround has oval central scene. Roof structure of former open hall retains upper sections of 2 snake blackened trusses, with collars extending beyond the principals to support the purlins. The hall was subdivided early C17 and a stack inserted. The house was occupied by William Law, the C18 divine; 1744 to 176i. Hester Gibbon and Elizabeth Hucheson also lived at the house during this tine, it was their intersion to establish a household based on Laws book published in 1728, "A Serious call to a Devout and Holy Life". On the death of Hester Gibbon in 1790 the house reverted to the Law family who remodelled the entrance front at about this time. The house remained in the Law family until late C19. (RCHM: An Inventory of Architectural Monuments in North Northamptonshire: p99)

Listing NGR: TL0075997066

Selected Sources

Inventory of Architectural Monuments in North Northamptonshire, (1984)

National Grid Reference: TL 00759 97066


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1225654 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2017 at 03:44:50.

End of official listing