CHURCH OF ST PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1225725

Date first listed: 25-Mar-1970

Date of most recent amendment: 23-Jul-1987

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PAUL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1225725 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Apr-2019 at 03:11:09.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PAUL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland (District Authority)

Parish: Upper Allithwaite

National Park: LAKE DISTRICT

National Grid Reference: SD 41419 80406

Details

UPPER ALLITHWAITE LINDALE SD 48 SW 11/111 Church of St Paul 25.3.70 (formerly listed as Church of St Paul Lindale

G V II

Church. 1828. By G. Webster. Chancel, north vestry and organ loft probably 1864; north aisle 1913. Roughcast stone with ashlar dressings, chancel of rock-faced limestone with ashlar dressings, north aisle of stone rubble; slate roofs. 6-bay nave clasps west tower. Lancets with splayed reveals and gabled porch with datestone to south side. West end has battered base with roll moulding over, tower breaking forward; 3 lancets, the central one with hoodmould and fleuron; flat-roofed north aisle has angle buttress. Tower has bell stage over weathering with paired louvred bell openings and projecting embattled parapet; low pyramidal roof with ornate iron cross. 5-bay north aisle, over basement due to slope of ground, has weathered buttresses on battered bases, one rising as stack. Lancets paired to 2nd and 4th bays. Gabled organ loft breaks forward to east, cusped lancet has trefoil window above, both with hoodmoulds. Flat-roofed vestry has 3-light hollow-chamfered-mullioned window with transom; east entrance with shouldered lintel. Return stack to organ loft. Chancel has sill course and 2 windows of 2 lights and Y-tracery to south side, that to east has high sill, with corresponding window to north side; weathered buttresses. East end has 3 stepped lancets with tracery heads and continuous hoodmould; gable cross, and similar cross to nave. South side of church has some wall memorials and adjoining chest tombs of late C18 and early C19. Interior: Roof has doubled principal rafters, collars and kingposts; 5-bay arcade; plain tower arch, 1913 font, round bowl with Romanesque detail; painted canvas panels, C18, of Creed, Lord's Prayer and Ten Commandments, arms of George III. Plaques record augmentation of funds, 1760 and rebuilding of church. Timber open traceried chancel screen, east end panelled with traceried reredos, figures and cresting; recesses to north and south. Roof has common rafters with bracing and ashlaring. Some interesting C19 stained glass.

Listing NGR: SD4141980406

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 422228

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing