CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, HALL YARD
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1225733.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 30-Mar-2020 at 14:23:35.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, HALL YARD
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- East Northamptonshire (District Authority)
- King's Cliffe
- National Grid Reference:
- TL 00694 97080
KINGS CLIFFE HALL YARD
TL0097 (West side)
12/113 Church of All Saints
Church. Early C12, C13, C14 chancel rebuilt C15, datestone 1648, restored 1862
by Bryan Browning of Stamford. Regular coursed and squared coursed limestone
with ashlar dressings and ashlar tower and spire, part rendered. Lead and
Collyweston slate roofs. Cruciform plan with central tower. South elevation of
chancel of 3-window range of 3-light Perpendicular windows with shallow
triangular heads. 2-stage ashlar buttresses between windows. Gabled roof with
Collyweston slates and ashlar gable parapet. 5-light Perpendicular east-window
with 4-centred arch-head and hollow reveals. Flanking 2-stage clasping
buttresses. Datestone 1648 in apex of gable. North elevation of chancel is of 2
bays, one-window range. 3-light window, similar to south elevation, to left.
Priest door with 4-centred arch-head to right of centre. Central 2-stage ashlar
buttress. South transept has 3-light Perpendicular south window with 4-centred
arch-head. Flanking 2-stage clasping buttresses. Shallow gabled roof with
castellated ashlar parapet. Similar 3-light east window. Priest door, with
4-centred arch-head, to right. North transept has 3-light, square head, north
window with cusped lead lights, carved label stops and relieving arch over.
Flanking 2-stage clasping buttresses. Shallow gabled roof with plain ashlar
parapet. 4-light east window with 4-centred arch-head. 2-stage buttress, to
left, at abutment with chancel. Small single-light window in west elevation.
South aisle of 3 bays; 2-window range. 3-light windows with 4-centred
arch-heads, to centre and right. 2-stage ashlar buttress between windows.
Lean-to roof with castellated ashlar parapet and 2 gargoyles. 3-light west
window is similar to south windows. Gabled porch breaks forward from left bay.
Outer doorway has double-chamfered 4-centred arch-head with semi-circular
responds. Matrices of monumental brass, in masonry, to left of doorway. Flanking
2-stage clasping buttresses. Inner doorway has 4-centred arch-head and
continuous hollowed and roll mouldings. 2 memorial tablets inside porch to
Carrington family, dated 1798, 1822 and 1829. Ashlar gable parapets and
Collyweston slate roof. North aisle is 3 bays; 2-window range all similar to the
south aisle with castellated ashlar parapet and 3 gargoyles. 3-light west window
has continuous mullions, cusping and carved label stops. Gabled north porch and
doorways are similar to south porch with 2 single-light windows in return walls
of porch. Partially legible C17 datestone in apex of porch. 2 memorial tablets
to Attkins family dated 1781, 1783 and 1802 and tablets to Wood family dated
1790, 1796 and early C19 dates, inside porch. West elevation of nave has tall
3-light west windows with curvilinear tracery. Flanking 3-stage ashlar angle
buttresses at corners with gabled and crocketed heads. Line of former roof pitch
is visible in the masonry. Nave clerestory of 4-window range of 2-light windows,
restored mid C19. Shallow gabled roof with castellated ashlar parapet. C12
central tower of 2 irregular stages, C12 two-light windows with semi circular
head, plain tympanum and central shaft, to north and west face of lower stage.
Upper stage has corner pilasters supporting C13 broach spire rising from a
corbel table. 3 tiers of lucarnes. Lowest tier is half in second stage of tower.
2-light opening with central shaft and nailhead decoration. Interior: 4-bay nave
arcade of hollowed and moulded arches with octagonal piers and castellated
abaci. Double-chamfered tower arches at the crossing, remodelled late C13, with
octagonal and semi-circular responds. Hollowed and moulded arches, from aisles
to transepts, have plain springing with no responds. Cluster respond in chancel
may have been intended for a north chapel. Perpendicular nave roof has carved
bosses and corbels. Aisle and transept roofs have some original structure. C19
chancel roof. Tall niches, with cusping, flanking altar. Piscina with crude
trefoil-head, to right of altar, also one other niche and arched recess. C15,
square-head, bench ends reset from Church of St. Mary and All Saints,
Fotheringhay. Pulpit incorporates medieval openwork panels, with cusping.
Octagonal font with alternate quatrefoil circles supported on 5 renewed columns.
Stained glass: fragments of medieval glass also said to be from Fotheringhay
Church in 2 west windows, north aisle windows and 2 south transept windows.
Late C19 east window and 2 windows in south aisle c.1904 by Kempe. Shaft of C12
tower window above nave crossing. Monuments: Thomas Boughton C17 tablet, with
pediment over, in north transept. Thorpe family inscribed tablet c.1623 in north
transept has pediment and obelisk over. Records 3 generations of Thomas Thorpe
of whom John Thorpe, master mason, was son of the third generation. Richard
Wildbore, d.1688, and Samuel Wymen, d.1700, 2 brass tablets in chancel. Thomas
Law, d.1711, inscribed tablet, above, with broken segmental pediment. Inscribed
latin tablet to right is dated 1748. C18 and C19 floor tablets to left and right
of altar. Thomas Von, d.1739, and wife, 2 inscribed tablets with segmental
pediments, in south aisle. Various C19 tablets to Law, Bonney, and Carrington
families and others. Several monuments have trade of deceased recorded.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire: p276; RCHM: An Inventory of
Architectural Monuments in North Northamptonshire: p42)
Listing NGR: TL0069497080
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1961), 276
Inventory of Architectural Monuments in North Northamptonshire, (1984)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing