THE TREASURERS HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1225764
Date first listed:
28-Apr-1987
Statutory Address:
THE TREASURERS HOUSE, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE TREASURERS HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1225764 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-May-2019 at 18:12:49.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE TREASURERS HOUSE, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
South Somerset (District Authority)
Parish:
Martock
National Grid Reference:
ST 46157 19078, ST 46171 19091

Details

ST4619 MARTOCK CP CHURCH STREET (East side)

9/194 The Treasurer's House

19.4.61

GV I

Medieval priest's house. C13, with C14 and C15 extensions, and small C19 wing. Ham stone coursed rubble, some ashlar work and dressings; double Roman clay tile roofs between stepped coped gables; brick chimney stacks. T-plan, single and 2-storey. The projecting wing westwards is the early C14 hall, with north-west corner buttress; west window 2-light plate tracery with mullion, no label; north and south walls each have two smaller windows to match, but without the crowning quatrefoil; pointed arched doorways at east end each side, with later casement windows over. The east crosswing of early C13 with small early C19 extension northwards; the south gable has a plate tracery window at first floor level, and below it two 3-light hollow-chamfer mullioned cinquefoil cusped windows, separated by a buttress, both with square labels; left of the upper window a slit window surrounded by unexplained drilled holes, possibly a stairlight; the west face has a single bay of 2-light chamfer-mullioned windows, the upper traceried, no labels: the C19 wing of 2 bays, with 3-light horizontal-bar casements above, and below two 2-light, one with earlier glazing, and to right a doorway screened by a timber weatherboarded flat roofed porch. In the south-east corner is the late C15/early C16 kitchen, which has no direct link to the house; the west elevation has a 2-light chamfer-mullioned flat-headed window without label to each level, and to left an almost triangular arched doorway. Inside, the hall has a 4-bay moulded arched collar-truss roof, with 3 purlins each slope, the lower and third bays double-windbraced and the second bay single-braced, a re-roofing of the same date as the kitchen; cinquefoil rere-arches to windows, no fireplace; the screen/gallery all covered in. The room in the crosswing to rear has a 4-panel deep moulded beam ceiling, probably C15; with a later fireplace inserted, possibly later C17, having chamfered stone jambs, and large slightly chamfered timber crossbeam. The first floor not examined. The kitchen has a 4-bay arched collar-truss roof, the panels between purlins covered but probably windbraced as the main hall; south bay much smoke- blackened, as is the south gable wall, which has a very wide but shallow fireplace with a near-triangular moulded arch. The Treasurer of Wells Cathedral became rector and patron of Martock 1227-8 (hence the house name), and the house is first mentioned in 1226. The plot was enlarged 1262, and the hall apparently added 1293-94. It remained part of the manor of Martock Rectory until sold in 1840. It remained in private hands until it was left to the National Trust in 1970.(VCH, Vol III, 1974; Saunders, Preb. G.W. Notes on the History of Martock Hundred Western Gazette, 1955; Wood E, C13 Domestic Architecture in England; Arch-Journal Supp, vol CV, 1950; Wood, M. The English Medieval House, Ferndale, 1981-includes plans of house). ST4616719088

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
422284
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1974)
Wood, E , The English Medieval House, (1965)
'Western Gazette' in Western Gazette, (1955)
Wood, M E, 'Archaeological Journal Supplement' in Thirteenth Century Domestic Architecture in England, , Vol. 105, (1950)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].