CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1225878
Date first listed:
23-May-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1225878.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 14:59:12.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Northamptonshire
District:
East Northamptonshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Yarwell
National Grid Reference:
TL 07094 97761

Details

YARWELL MAIN STREET TL0797 (South side) 15/232 Church of St. Mary Magdalene 23/05/67 GV II* Church. C13, tower remodelled C18, aisles removed 1782 restored 1892. Squared coursed limestone parts banded with ashlar and with ashlar dressings. Lead and Collyweston slate roof. Originally aisled nave and chancel with west tower, nave is now without aisles. South elevation of south chapel is of 2-window range of one- and 2-light square-head windows. Shallow lean-to roof with lead covering, and ashlar gable parapets. West elevation has outline of blocked archway. East elevation is blank. 3-light east window of chancel has 4-centred arch-head and hollow reveals. North elevation of north chapel, now vestry, is a 2-window range with a 2-light square-head window, to right, and lancet window to left; both restored C19. Similar roof as south chapel, with moulded rafter feet. East and west elevations are blank. South elevation of nave is of 3-bays with evidence of the C13 arcade to the former south aisle, now demolished. windows in flanking bays have double-chamfered heads, formerly the heads of the arcades. Central C18 south doorway, now blocked has plain arch-head and ashlar surround with keyblock. Plinth above window heads marks line of former roof abutment. Steeply gabled roof with ashlar gable parapet and finial and exposed ends of tie beams, at eaves. Nouth elevation of nave is all similar to the south elevation. Central C18 north doorway with a C19 ribbed door. West tower of 2 uneven stages with plinth. Unbuttressed with irregular ashlar quoins. 2-light west window has plain circles at head and roil mouldings. Slit window above. 2-light bell-chamber openings to each face of upper stage, have square-heads, arch-head lights and roll mouldings. Plain ashlar parapet and set back pyramid roof with weathervane. Interior: C13 three-bay nave arches of double chamfered arches, now all blocked, have circular piers and semi-circular responds. 3 capitals on north side have nail head decoration. Roof structure in nave is probably late C18 with king post trusses. C19 roof structure in chancel and chapels. C19 octagonal font. C19 and C20 furnishings. Fielded panelled vestibule over south doorway. C20 stained glass to east window of chancel. Monuments: various C17 and C18 inscribed floor slabs throughout, one in vestry has a brass plaque with coat of arms. Humphrey Bellamy, d.1715, chest tomb in vestry with fielded panelled sides and black slab with inscription and armorial device. Medieval gargoyle in south chapel. Hatchment in belfry. The chancel was thatched until 1892. The removal of the aisles in 1782 was carried out by a Mr. Sanderson as they had fallen into disrepair. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire: p472; RCHM: An Inventory of Architectural Monuments in North Northamptonshire; p171)

Listing NGR: TL0709497761

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
422898
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1961), 471
Other
Inventory of Architectural Monuments in North Northamptonshire, (1984)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Apr 2006
Reference: IOE01/15560/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Roger Ashley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].