CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1226006
Date first listed:
07-Dec-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH WALK

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1226006 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2019 at 04:02:24.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH WALK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
Cherwell (District Authority)
Parish:
Upper Heyford
National Grid Reference:
SP 49483 25866

Details

UPPER HEYFORD CHURCH WALK SP42NE (West side) 2/137 Church of St. Mary 07/12/66 GV II*

Church. C15, and 1867 by Talbot Bury incorporating C14 and C15 elements. Rubble and coursed squared limestone with ashlar dressings; Welsh-slate, sheet-metal, and concrete plain-tile roofs. Chancel, nave, north aisle, north and south vestries, west tower and south porch. Rebuilt chancel incorporates a fine 3-light east window with Perpendicular drop tracery below a 4-centred arch, and has a square-headed 2-light window to north; matching window to south plus remainder of chancel and vestries is C19. Nave has, to south, two 3-light Perpendicular-style windows below pairs of quatrefoil clerestory windows, and has 2 small windows above the south porch. North aisle has traceried windows with pointed-segmental arches. North clerestory has 3 pairs of quatrefoil windows, and the nave parapet is a frieze of blind quatrefoils. C15 rubble tower, with diagonal buttresses and moulded plinth and strings, has a moulded Tudor-arched west doorway below a 3-light Perpendicular window, and has arched 2-light bell-chamber openings with Perpendicular tracery, below a crenellated parapet which formerly had corner pinnacles; buttresses carry the arms of New College Oxford and its Warden at the time of building (c.1465). Interior: Chancel incorporates a C14 piscina with a cusped head, a C14 recess containing the effigy of a priest, and a cartouche of arms, now forming the base of a missal stand. Wide 4-centred arch to south vestry; coupled-rafter roof with arched bracing. Responds of chancel arch, and east respond and first capital of 3-bay nave arcade, have vigorously-carved capitals with naturalistic grapes, corn, and other vegetation; remaining capitals are moulded but remain uncarved. C15 tower arch has inner shafts with octagonal capitals plus a wide casement moulding. Perpendicular-style nave roof. Fittings include an Art Noveau wrought-iron screen of c.1900, brought from Bicester Church. Numerous late-C17 and early-C18 ledgers, mostly to members of the Myrry family. C19 stained glass in east window. (VCH Oxfordshire, Vol VI, p204; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p820)

Listing NGR: SP4948325866

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
423070
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974)
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1962), 820

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].