CHURCH OF ST LAURENCE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1226108
Date first listed:
06-Feb-1968
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LAURENCE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LAURENCE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1226108.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Feb-2020 at 13:09:03.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LAURENCE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
Eden (District Authority)
Parish:
Morland
National Grid Reference:
NY 59811 22550

Details

NY 59840 22550 MORLAND

4/94 Church of St Laurence 6.2.68 G.V. I

Parish Church, C11 with later additions and alterations; extensively restored in C19. Coursed, squared rubble with quoins to tower; angle transept buttresses. Graduated slate roofs with copings and kneelers; stumpy lead spire to tower carries 1769 weathercock. West tower, 3-bay aisled nave, transept arm, and chancel. 3-stage tower is pre-conquest with large balusters supporting imposts to paired openings on each side. C17 gabled south porch has stone benches to either side. Panelled C18 inner door has C13 surround with pointed head. Two C19 windows to right in C18 openings. 2 dated panels to nave parapet; 1753 on centre south and 1772 to west end on south side. C13 lancet windows in south transept arm were restored in C19. 2 windows on south side of chancel, doorway between, and east window are all C16; windows have segment-headed lights and door has 4-centred head with moulded jambs. 1896 vestry to north. Single lancets on east and west sides of north transept arm are C13, others are C19. North nave windows are C18 with semicircular heads and decorative leading; 2 largest have re-used architraves similar to those in Morland House. Door below has medieval fittings. Internally, nave floor is down steps. Tower has massive chamfered plinth; narrow central door has semicircular head. Pointed arcade arches have 2 chamfered orders; waterleaf capitals to C12 west responds, chalice capitals and filleted shafts to C13 east responds. Central pier on north side is C12 with scallop capital, other piers are C13. Transept and chancel arches were rebuilt in C19. For details of fixtures and fittings, see R.C.H.M. & "Past Alive : The story of the Parish Church of St Laurence, Morland" written in 1979 by the Reverend Canon Gervase W. Markham M.A. for the 800th anniversary of the Church.



Listing NGR: NY5980922546

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
423202
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Markham, G, Past Alive: The Story of the Parish Church of St Laurence Morland, (1979)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Feb 2003
Reference: IOE01/09089/30
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr R. Ian Campbell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].