This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1226550



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Martock

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 28-Apr-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 423589

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Madey Mill, East Street. 12/256 9/256

------------------------------------ Madey Mill, East Street. 12/256 9/256

------------------------------------ ST4619 MARTOCK CP EAST STREET (South side, off)

12/256 Madey Mill



Water mill. Medieval origins, current buildings C17, extended C19. Ham stone ashlar; plain clay tile roof between stepped coped gables with gabletted crown to south and ashlar chimney stack to north. Two-storeys with attic, 5 bays east elevation. Wheel at south end, bay 1, the leat feeding in at first floor level; then hollow-chamfer mullioned windows in reveals, with hoodmoulds; 2-light bays 1 and 2 and lower bay 3, 3-light to bay 4, and to bay 5 a 2-storey projection under lean-to roof, with 2-light mullioned windows in south return, above a plain chamfered doorway. South gable end has a 3-light mullioned window to match at each level. West elevation is the C19 extension in lean-to form under a Welsh slate roof, having 4 bays of 3-light small-pane casement windows, the lower with voussoired segmental arched heads, except bay 2, which has segmental-arched double doorways to each level, the upper in a small gable. Inside the overshot iron wheel by Sparrows of Martock, about 3 metres diameter, all buckets missing; all grinding machinery appears to survive at first floor level, although not in working order. Probably one of 2 Domesday mills - this mill known as Madey mill since C14; in 1592 was coupled with a horse mill; it passed to the Manor in 1637, and was probably rebuilt soon after; in C19 became one of several mills held by the Hopkins family. (VCH, Vol III, 1974).

Listing NGR: ST4674719058

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1974)

National Grid Reference: ST 46747 19058


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1226550 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2017 at 09:14:10.

End of official listing