PETER ROBINSON

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1227690
Date first listed:
22-Nov-1973
Statutory Address:
214-234, OXFORD STREET W1
Statutory Address:
OXFORD CIRCUS W1
Statutory Address:
PETER ROBINSON, 272-286, REGENT STREET W1

Map

Ordnance survey map of PETER ROBINSON
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1227690.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Nov-2019 at 07:45:59.

Location

Statutory Address:
214-234, OXFORD STREET W1
Statutory Address:
OXFORD CIRCUS W1
Statutory Address:
PETER ROBINSON, 272-286, REGENT STREET W1

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
City of Westminster (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 29060 81279

Details

TQ 2891 SW CITY OF WESTMINSTER REGENT STREET W1 57/85 (East side) 22-11-73 Nos 272 to 286 even (Peter Robinson, including Nos 214 to 234 even Oxford Street) GV II Department store and office block framing the north eastern quadrant of Oxford Circus and the approach. 1912 design by Sir Henry Tanner completed 1923 with eastern extension for Peter Robinson of 1924 by H. A. Hall and Clarkson. Portland stone cladding steel frame, slate roof. Classical style with Beaux Arts details but more neo-Grec features to Hall and Clarkson extension. Designed by Tanner as a symmetrical composition with the other 3 quadrant blocks framing the circus. 4 tall storeys and double attic in steep mansards and pavilion roofs. Upper floors, including returns, organised with projecting pavilions flanking quadrant and as terminal features, the fenestration grouped in sequence from north end of block as follows: 3; splayed corner; 1; 3; 9; 3; 3 to quadrant and 3 to Oxford Street plus 5 bay Peter Robinson extension. Ground floor shop fronts articulated by pilasters decorated with wreathed shields crowned by cherub heads. Upper floors have architraved bronze casements, 2nd floor with alternating pediments. Pavilions have giant order of Ionic columns and pilasters, enriched aprons and bronze balconies to central windows; central stone dormers carried up into attic with open pediments. The quadrant has giant Ionic columns dividing tripartite, bronze pilastered and framed windows. Main entablature below attic with balustraded parapet. Corniced dormers; stone chimneystacks; roof ridges with bronze crestings and triumphal ornaments. The 1924 Peter Robinson extension has podium containing shop windows with deep, coffered soffits to arches and deep set rectangular mezzanine windows above with coffered reveals and soffits of individual design - the upper floors with giant fluted Doric order carrying deep crowning entablature are more conventionally neo-Grec.

Listing NGR: TQ2906081279

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
425635
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Jan 2002
Reference: IOE01/04387/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Holcroft. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].