CHURCH OF ST DENYS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1227982
Date first listed:
02-Nov-1954
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST DENYS, CHURCH HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST DENYS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1227982.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 17:18:46.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST DENYS, CHURCH HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Northamptonshire
District:
Daventry (District Authority)
Parish:
Ravensthorpe
National Grid Reference:
SP 67000 70346

Details

RAVENSTHORPE CHURCH HILL SP67SE (East side) 11/46 Church of St. Denys 02/11/54

GV II*

Also known as Church of St. Dionysius. Church. C13 and C19. Squared coursed and regular coursed lias with lead and plain-tile roof. Aisled nave, chancel and west tower. Chancel: C19, south elevation of 2-window range of traceried lancet windows. South door between. North elevation, similar, of one-window range. 3-light east window has roundel with cusping. Gabled roof with ashlar cornice, gable parapets and finial. South aisle of 2-window range of 3-light windows; that to left has a square head and that to right has Perpendicular style tracery. Similar 3-light east window. All have some C19 and C20 tracery. 2-light west window with ogee head. Lean-to roof with ashlar gable parapets. South porch, to left, is C19 with double-chamfered outer door opening and Decorated inner door openings. Gabled roof with ashlar gable parapets. North aisle of 2-window range of 3-light windows under segmental arches; similar east window and 2-light west window. North door to far right also under segmental arch. Lean-to roof with ashlar gable parapets. The north aisle projects half a bay alongside the chancel. Nave clerestory of 3-window range of 2-light windows; that to south has segmental arches and 2 to north have square heads with arched lights. West tower, C13 restored c.1810, of 4 stages with angle buttresses at the west corners. 2-light west window at ground level. Double lancet bell-chamber openings with attached shafts in upper stage. The upper stage is subdivided by a string course at the springing of the window openings. Castellated parapet probably C14. Tablet reset in north wall of chancel commemorates John Adams died 1698 and his wife died 1737, and has cherub at head. Interior: Double-chamfered chancel arch. Nave arcade, C13, of 3-bays of double-chamfered arches on octagonal piers. Triple-chamfered tower arch. Tomb recess in south aisle. Jacobean pulpit. Parts of the screen are Perpendicular. Parish chest has iron banding. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p,384).

Listing NGR: SP6700070346

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
402472
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 384

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Apr 2007
Reference: IOE01/16334/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Roger Ashley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].