CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1228026
Date first listed:
08-Dec-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1228026.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 17:46:36.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
Cherwell (District Authority)
Parish:
Mollington
National Grid Reference:
SP 44226 47499

Details

MOLLINGTON CHURCH LANE SP4447 (East side) 13/135 Church of All Saints 08/12/55

GV II*

Church. Late C13/early C14, C16, early C18 restored 1856 by William White. Lias ashlar with lead roofs. Nave, chancel, north aisle, south porch and west tower. South elevation of chancel of 2-window range of 2-light windows with quatrefoil circles and carved label stops. Priest door, to centre, has double chamfered surround. 2 stage clasping buttress, to right corner. Shallow gabled roof with tall, plain, parapet. 4-light east window with intersecting tracery and carved label stops. North elevation of chancel is blank, with 2 chamfered plinths. 2 blocked arch-head openings, to left, and right of centre and remains of trefoil head piscina, to centre. Shallow gabled roof has no parapet to this elevation. South elevation of nave of 3 bays, 2-window range of 3- and 4-light windows, with intersecting tracery, to left and right of centre. Shallow gabled roof with tall, plain parapet. Central porch, rebuilt 1715, has moulded outer doorway, with ogee-head and stepped and roll-moulded inner doorway. Pair of studded plank doors with strap hinges. Gabled roof with ashlar gable parapets and finial. North aisle, rebuilt 1856, is of 4 bays, 3-window range of C19, two-light, windows with carved label stops. 2-stage angle buttresses to far left and right. Lean-to roof, with ashlar gable parapet, at abutment with the tower. C16 west tower of 3 stages with plinth. 2-stage angle buttresses to western corners of lower 2 stages. 3-light, square-head, west window, with arch-head lights, in lower stage. Relieving arch above window head. Single-light square-head windows to west face of second stage. 2-light, square-head, bell-chamber openings, with arch-head lights, to each face of upper stage. Castellated parapet; casteilations only remain at the corners. Interior: C14 four-bay, north arcade to nave was restored c.1856. Double-chamfered arches with octagonal piers and plain responds. Square abaci, of west pier, may be reused C12 work. Double-chamfered chancel arch, with polygonal responds. Double-chamfered tower arch, with bracketed responds. 2 single-chamfered blocked archways to north wail of chancel. Nave and chancel roof are probably C18, restored C19. Trefoil-head piscina to left of altar. Early C13 font, with blank intersecting arches and band of dogtooth decoration, restored C19. Late C15 rood screen, reset in tower arch. Stained glass: late C19 east window, C19 stained glass borders to several other windows. Monuments: Elizabeth Woodhull, 1656, inscribed wall tablet reset in north aisle, with side volutes and broken pediment over. Anthony Woodhull and wife both d.1669. Anthony Woodhull, d.1675 and wife d.1678; and Francis Woodhull, d.1700; inscribed brass tablets to south wall of chancel. Anthony Woodhull, d.1669 and wife, inscribed tablet to north wall of chancel has cherub, swags and broken pediment over. Ambrose Holbech, d.1700 and wife, inscribed tablet to south wall of chancel, has flanking pilasters and broken pediment over. Ambrose Holbech, d.1737, inscribed tablet to south wall of nave has broken pediment over, with obelisk above. Elizabeth Holbech, d.1732, chest tomb reset in north aisle has black marble inscribed tablet and black marble tablet over; flanking bolection moulded pilasters with armonial devices. Finetta Holbech, d.1758, black marble floor slab, Hugh Holbech, d.1763; oval tablet to south wall of chancel has rectangular panel surmounted by a draped urn. Richard Holloway, d.1820, and wife plain tablet to north wall of nave. Various carved floor slabs. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: p710)

Listing NGR: SP4422647499

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
402001
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 710

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Sep 2003
Reference: IOE01/11381/35
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr J. B. Moseley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].