Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1228032

Date first listed: 01-Jun-1966



Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1228032 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Mar-2019 at 02:40:11.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Leicestershire

District: Charnwood (District Authority)

Parish: Cossington

National Grid Reference: SK 60364 13664



SK 61 SW MAIN STREET (West Side) 7/9 1.6.66 Church of All Saints


Church. C13-C15 and C19. Granite rubble stone with stone dressings and Swithland slate roof to chancel and S porch, the rest leaded and parapetted roofs. Stone coped gables. West tower, nave, aisles, chancel and S porch. Tower of C13 of 3 stages with small blocked W door, W lancet with C19 stained glass, N and S lancets, 4 bell openings with hood moulds, head frieze and battlements. Triple-chamfered nave arch. C13 4 bay N arcade with double-chamfered arches on circular piers. Early C14 4 bay S arcade with double sunk quadrant-moulded arches on quatrefoil piers. Perp clerestory with 4 3-light windows either side and C19 4 bay low-pitch tie beam roof. N aisle with buttresses with set-offs and part battlemented parapet. NW window with Y tracery, blocked N door, 2 N windows with C19 stained glass, and NE window with Y tracery and C19 stained glass. By chancel arch part of spiral stairway to former rood, and a squint to both aisles. Early C14 chancel. Windows with Reticulated tracery those to W on both sides originally 'low-side', that to S now with lower section blocked. E window with Intersected tracery and stained glass c1918 by Strachan. Fine sedilia with ogee arches and piscina, and on N wall a C14 tomb-recess, with ogee arch over the alabaster tomb chest of Dr. Matthew Knightley, a former Rector, of 1556. Incised top and carved sides. Chancel S door. S windows have C19 stained glass. Cl9 boarded wagon roof. S aisle has buttresses and part battlemented parapet. SE window has Geometric tracery and stained glass of 1862. 2 S windows with Y tracery and SW window with restored Y tracery. Early C14 S doorway and C19 S porch. Round font, possibly C13/C14, with C17 restored cover. Restored Perp screen and pulpit. Choirs stall ends probably of same date, partly restored. Some benches with linenfold panelling c1500. In N aisle under E window tomb with recumbent effigy of priest, c1320. In chancel alabaster wall monument to Rev. William Stavely, a former Rector, of 1652. Further early C19 wall monuments, a rectangular painting of the Royal Arms of Georgian period and c1700 painting of the Creed, Commandments and Lord's Prayer with portraits of Moses and Aaron. Carved frame. Pevsner.

Listing NGR: SK6036413664


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 402434

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing