JUNIPER HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1228450

Date first listed: 28-Nov-1951

Statutory Address: JUNIPER HALL, LONDON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of JUNIPER HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1228450 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Apr-2019 at 03:59:33.

Location

Statutory Address: JUNIPER HALL, LONDON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Surrey

District: Mole Valley (District Authority)

Parish: Mickleham

National Grid Reference: TQ 17250 52707

Details

TQ 15 SE 8/103 1049

LONDON ROAD, MICKLEHAM Juniper Hall

28.11.51

II

Listed for historical reasons and on account of the interior of one room. Now the property of the National Trust and occupied by the Field Studies Residential Centre. The original portion of the building was on the site of the centre of the east wing, facing south. This was the Royal Oak Inn. The north-west wing was added by Sir Cecil Bisshopp about 1762. The inn was demolished and this portion of the house rebuilt and extended further east about 1870. At the some time the north west wing was mutilated. But this is the only portion which has any C18 work in it. 3 storeys. 7 windows. Red brick. The brick-work probably dated from 1870 when 2 large and 2 small gables were substituted for the top storey of the C18 building which had a cornice and parapet. Large bay of 4 windows at the north end of the front (The Sculptured Drawing Room). 3 round-headed doorway in the centre with semi-circular fanlight. This became the front door when the wing was built in 1762 but the front door was moved to the south front in the alterations of 1870. The only portion of the interior of interest remaining from the 1762 house is the ground floor room a the north-west corner of the North-West wing. This is called the Sculptures Drawing Room. The walls have plaster figures or plaques set in elaborate foilated borders, with ceiling and chimney piece to match. The room was possibly designed by Lady Templeton who is said to have designed a similar room at Norbury Park nearby. During the French Revolution Juniper Hall became the principle meeting place of some of the most distinguished emigres who had left France on account of the political developments. Amongst others, Talleyrand, Narbonne, Madame de Stael, General D'Arblay, Lally Tollendal, Madame de Broglie and the Princess d'Henin all stayed there. It is on account of their associations with the house and the survival of the Sculptured Drawings Room that the house is listed. It was also occupied by Thomas Broadwood of Broadwood's pianos from 1814 onwards. The 9 fine cedars in the garden to the west of the house were probably planted by Sir Cecil Bisshopp about 1762.

Listing NGR: TQ1725052707

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 289953

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing