HOLLY BANK, FORMERLY THE DOCTOR'S HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1228744
Date first listed:
01-Mar-1967
Statutory Address:
HOLLY BANK, FORMERLY THE DOCTOR'S HOUSE, BARTON ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1228744.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Jan-2021 at 00:32:51.

Location

Statutory Address:
HOLLY BANK, FORMERLY THE DOCTOR'S HOUSE, BARTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cheshire West and Chester (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Farndon
National Grid Reference:
SJ 41474 54423

Details

SJ 45 SW FARNDON C.P. BARTON ROAD south Side

2/24 Holly Bank, formerly The Doctor's House.

1/3/67

- II*

House, late C17 altered probably mainly mid C18, but by degrees. Stone-dressed brown brick with grey slate roofs. The entrance front (C18) of 3 storeys and 3 windows is symmetrical in form but with varied detailing: slightly projecting stone bands 1st and 2nd floors; rusticated stone quoins; cyma stone cornice, probably with upper parapet removed. Stone plinth with moulded cap has 2 former window openings to cellar left of probably late C19 gabled brick porch. Lower 2 storeys are of irregular bond; upper storey is in imperfect Flemish bond. Window to each side of porch is of 3 flush sashes: 4-pane: 12-pane: 4-pane, with stone cills; left window has gauged brick flat arch, right window a rougher camber arch. 2nd storey has 12-pane flush sashes; that at centre under repaired gauged brick flat arch, those to sides under camber arches. 3rd storey has low 6-pane flush sashes under camber arches, the central opening blocked. Stone cills. The right corner of probably C17 roof shows, offset, behind the facade. Rear elevation (rendered) has band and 2 gables with kneelers. Interior: 2 and 3 panel oak doors. Cellar has stone and bedrock walls, and a reused slotted chamfered beam. Front parlour, left has altered inglenook and roughly chamfered oak main beam; rear left room has stop-chamfered beam system and oak panelling inscribed John Leech 1729, RMRB Esq 1741, IW 1756 (repositioned), RB Esq 1724, TH 1771 (repositioned), WBAP 174; diagonal fireplace with hollow corbel for hearth above. Rear right room has roughly chamfered beams. Kitchen (rear wing, right) has ceiling frame with 2 roughly chamfered beams and 1 C17 moulded beam with housings or open mortices on rear side. Moulded oak bressumer across corner of outhouse behind kitchen, C17 or earlier. Stair of 6 flights and 2 landings has dropped square newels and 2 barleysugar balusters per step. Bar-stopped chamfered oak beam in front bedroom, left. Oak purlins.

Listing NGR: SJ4147454423

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
403420
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Sep 2007
Reference: IOE01/16895/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr R. A. Brierley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].